Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the storage in my Omen desktop PC using one of the two hot swap bays on the top of the unit. However I have noticed that there are no screw holes for a 2.5" drive, and the upgrade manual and video for this product only demonstrates an installation of a 3.5" HDD drive. Is there some way to install an SSD in this tray that is proven? I do not mind purchasing an adapter to fit the size, however I need it to be easily accessible, so installing in the lower drive bay is not an option.

I will be installing a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello
you will need to buy a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter, and check if they provide the screws with it, which is often the case

Hard Drive/Solid-State Drive Replacement Instructions

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for prompt reply. So I take it that any 2.5 to 3.5 adapter will fit in the hot swap tray? I was worried that they were designed for a normal drive tray where they replaced the existing tray. Additionally, this will align with the connections for the drive in the hot swap bay?

HP Recommended

Very good question
I have already placed a 3.5 dd in a compartment, and it is exactly the same.
so i think yes it must not be a problem but i can't certify it
That said logically the ssd must be in the same position

Adaptateur 1 x HDD/SSD 2.5'' en Baie 3.5'' - Achat/Vente DEXLAN 730194

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you again for quick reply, and thank you for your help. I am confident now to go ahead with the upgrade.

HP Recommended

I know this is very late, but I regret to say that the adapter does not work. Most adapters I could find did not line up with the screw holes of the original mount, and the few that did caused the SSD to misalign with the connectors. It was a lengthy process trying out every adapter available at my nearest electronic store. I couldn't refund the SSD at that point, so I was forced to install it in the bottom bay.

From what I can tell, there is no way to install an SSD into the top hot swap bays. Since HP does not list one, I will have to assume no such ready method exists, and will require a custom made adapter.

HP Recommended

MMM
Sorry for that, the documentation is not very precise on this subject, too bad
I think I understand where the problem comes from indeed!
The SSD would have to be offset with the adapter to be able to be connected, apart from a classic adapter places the SSD in the middle, as can be seen in the picture, is that correct?

😞

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.