Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing USB 3 CARD - recommends, issues? want to run two monitors from older desktop

HP Compaq 6005 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently been given an older HP desktop and have mostly upgraded most of the hardware. I am trying to identify the best USB 3 card to install as this is an older PC I'm unsure of compatibility. The machine has numerous USB ports but im wanting ideally to run two monitor's and the second monitor will not function correctly on a USB 2/HDMI connect.

Id be grateful for any advice on the above, I have seen some cards on Amazon/Ebay but again unsure - can I just purchase a USB 3 card, install into the PCI slot and wella? Or is this amore in-depth issue requiring maybe a upgraded video card as well?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,170 21,814 2,517 8,395
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Installing USB 3 CARD - recommends, issues? want to run two monitors from older desktop

@Al1411 , welcome to the forum.

Which version of the Compaq 6005 Pro is yours: Microtower, Ultra-slim Desktop or Small Form Factor?  This will make a difference as to which cards you can use.

-------------------------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Oldgesser, thanks for welcome.

The Hp I’m using is a small form and am just wanting to know a good easily installable USB 3 card.

Appreciate you getting back to me

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,170 21,814 2,517 8,395
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Al1411!  Thank you for the additional information.

Here is an adapter that is made by StarTech:  https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/7-port-pci-express-usb-3-card~PEXUSB3S7

It can be used for a low-profile installation which is what you will need.  StarTech makes very good products.  They do make adapters with fewer ports if you don't need this many.  If you want further information about their products, you can contact their Tech Support by using the Chat Live option on their website.  I use it all of the time and their Techs are very helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation