Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Omni 120-1034
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am considering removing the 1tb Hitachi hard drive inside my Hp Omni allinone computer and replacing it with a solid state drive, but there's a few things I'm uncertain about. First off, I don't know if the Hitachi hard drive inside my system is the standard 3.5 size. Here are the models in my price range that I am considering...

Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB 6Gb SATA III 2.5inch SSD

So, they all appear to be similiar, which brings me to my next question. I'm thinking the hard drive in my all in one may be mounted inside there differently than what is standard, then if so, are there mounting brackets that will fasten down, hold the new drive in place properly, and still enough space for the back panel to snap down?

Then my last concern before I purchase anything is the resulting performance of installing the ssd. Since I still have the AMD E-450 processor that runs at a measly 1.6 Ghz. From my understanding, because the way these allinones are built, there isn't any options for processor/motherboard, or at least none I know of that would be considered an upgrade. So, with the same processor/motherboard in there, would there be enough performance improvement to justify the time, cost and effort in doing so? Or would I be better off running it as it is until it breaks, and building a pc that has the i7, ssd, msi or gigabyte motherboard, and other features I yearn for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is a PC tour of the outside and inside of your Omni 120-1000 series AIO PC.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5146275&MEID=F4B58C54-854A-48AE-96C3-0C80A1C1E45E

Click on the internal view.

The hard disk is a standard SATA legacy 3.5" hard disk with 7200 rpm rotational speed.

"Or would I be better off running it as it is until it breaks, and building a pc that has the i7, ssd, msi or gigabyte motherboard, and other features I yearn for?"

Yes. You would be better off waiting. My own preference is an ASUS ROG motherboards and M.2 NVMe SSD disks. That is what the one I am typing this on has inside.

There is no way I would consider putting $250+ into an upgrade of your AIO PC.  I could not bring myself to do it.

There just is not enough return on your investment. It still won't be able to run the latest modern games which require processors with far more grunt and video processing power.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is a PC tour of the outside and inside of your Omni 120-1000 series AIO PC.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=5146275&MEID=F4B58C54-854A-48AE-96C3-0C80A1C1E45E

Click on the internal view.

The hard disk is a standard SATA legacy 3.5" hard disk with 7200 rpm rotational speed.

"Or would I be better off running it as it is until it breaks, and building a pc that has the i7, ssd, msi or gigabyte motherboard, and other features I yearn for?"

Yes. You would be better off waiting. My own preference is an ASUS ROG motherboards and M.2 NVMe SSD disks. That is what the one I am typing this on has inside.

There is no way I would consider putting $250+ into an upgrade of your AIO PC.  I could not bring myself to do it.

There just is not enough return on your investment. It still won't be able to run the latest modern games which require processors with far more grunt and video processing power.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

That's what I was kind of thinking. I just don't believe in buying a new computer when the old still works. The only thing wrong with this HP Omni is it's not new anymore, and it's incredibly slow compared to i5's I'm using at school. Spending $300 on an ssd and extra ram just looked like a cheaper alternative to building one in the $1100-1300 range.

If I even get another 6 months out of this thing, the cost of ssd's should drop dramatically. My gf kind of wants a touch screen monitor, the earlier models are starting to get more affordable. Again, in a few more months, perhaps the higher resolution 4K monitors will be cheaper as well.

I think you're saving me a headache, trying to make a pony run like a horse. Thank you for your feedback.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.