Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 705 65W G4 Desktop Mini PC

Hi!

I'd like to add a M.2 WIFI card to my EliteDesk 705 G4 Mini pc. According to the Service and maintenance manual (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06112892.pdf), Intel AC9560 is in the specification list, so I ordered one (the antennas are already available in the case).

After assembly, the new hardware does not show up in the Device manager. I've read many articles and now am quite puzzled whether this should work or not, but seemingly does not.

Is there some switch in BIOS or whatever I should flick, or maybe the hardware is at fault?

Thank you,

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, 

The fact that the antenna wires were there do not necessarily mean the Wi-Fi card that came with the PC was a 9560.

It could have been one of the other cards listed, or even a different model than those.

For example:  I picked this model 705 G4 DM at listed first from the HP PartSurfer website, and this one came with the Intel 9260:

HP PartSurfer

Intel 9260 ac2x2 nvP +BT5 WW

That card would be an Intel 9260 non-vPro model, which you should be able to find fairly easily.

The Intel 9260 is not a CNVi card, so it should work just fine in your PC.

If you want to go through the entire list of 705 G4 PC's in the HP PartSurfer website and see what other cards were offered, here is the list:  There will be several hundred models listed...some with and without Wi-Fi cards.

HP PartSurfer

That's the only way I know of how to select a card that should work.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi, Adam:

I think that was a mistake in the manual regarding that model card as being supported.

The card was offered in the Intel variant of the G4 DM:

HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Desktop Mini Business PC (35 W/65 W/95 W) Specifications | HP® Support

The Intel 9560 AC card is a CNVi card that only works in PC's with an Intel processor and chipset that supports that type of card.

What Are the Intel® Integrated Connectivity (CNVi) and Companion...

Furthermore, the card will only work as a replacement card.   If the Intel PC did not come from the factory with that model card, then even that won't work,

If you want to experiment with a better card other than the other Intel cards listed in the manual, try this one:

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro    HP part #L35282-005 

HP installed this model card in my HP Envy x360 15-ee0047nr notebook which has an AMD Ryzen 5 4500U processor.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

so would that mean, that even if I choose another card from the list (e.g. AC8265), if the computer originally had no WIFI built-in (why are the antennas there then?), it would not work? Or it needs to be a wifi card that was sometime accepted by HP based on serial number or something like that?

Is there any way I could check, if any card would be accepted by the PC, other than trial and error?

I have a Zyxel USB wifi adapter now, but I am very dissatisfied with the performance (overheating, loss of signal, taking up the USB port), so I would really like to switch to a "built-in" solution.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

The fact that the antenna wires were there do not necessarily mean the Wi-Fi card that came with the PC was a 9560.

It could have been one of the other cards listed, or even a different model than those.

For example:  I picked this model 705 G4 DM at listed first from the HP PartSurfer website, and this one came with the Intel 9260:

HP PartSurfer

Intel 9260 ac2x2 nvP +BT5 WW

That card would be an Intel 9260 non-vPro model, which you should be able to find fairly easily.

The Intel 9260 is not a CNVi card, so it should work just fine in your PC.

If you want to go through the entire list of 705 G4 PC's in the HP PartSurfer website and see what other cards were offered, here is the list:  There will be several hundred models listed...some with and without Wi-Fi cards.

HP PartSurfer

That's the only way I know of how to select a card that should work.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link! According to my Product Nr 5NZ24UC, my PC came without any WIFI card: https://partsurfer.hp.com/partsurfer?searchtext=5NZ24UC.

So any card I find here (including 9260) should work, ragerdless it came without?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that is correct, but I would think the 9260 was probably the best one offered in the model series at the time.

It has the same specs as the 9560 except the 9260 is not a CNVi card and has no special requirements.

You're lucky your PC came with the antenna wires included.

My 800 G3 DM came with no Wi-Fi card and no antenna system, so I have to use a USB Wi-Fi adapter, because it would be too much trouble to find an antenna kit, take the PC apart, which requires removing the motherboard to properly install the antenna wires.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your support, I ordered a 9260, fingers crossed 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know how your PC's Wi-Fi card installation project went.

Windows should automatically install the default drivers, but you can download the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers for the 9260 directly from the Intel site at the link below:

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 and Windows 11*

HP Recommended

Sure thing, I also like to follow through for future reference.

HP Recommended

Hello again!

Shipping took more time than expected, but I managed to insert the 9260 card (this very item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115789484091).

Both wifi and bluetooth are working as expected plug and play 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.