Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z600 C2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Intel i7-920 mounts on the same socket (LGA 1366) of Xeon X5600 family. Is it possibile to have an unseen  dual i7-920 on the Z600??? 

I7s are better performing than Xeon in single core mode (geekbench score 2200 to 3300) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Exiob, welcome to the forum.

I am not certain if an Intel i7-920 will work or not, but I could not find any information in the documentation.  Here is a guide that tells about adding a second Xeon processor.  This leads me to blieve that the Xeon processors are better suited for the motherboard.

I do know from past experience that some processors will work even though they are not supported.  However, they are not supported by HP.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Exiob, welcome to the forum.

I am not certain if an Intel i7-920 will work or not, but I could not find any information in the documentation.  Here is a guide that tells about adding a second Xeon processor.  This leads me to blieve that the Xeon processors are better suited for the motherboard.

I do know from past experience that some processors will work even though they are not supported.  However, they are not supported by HP.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I bought one i7-920 in Sweden for 40 dollars.........we shall see when it arrives. What I think is that probably only 1 i7 works but 2 not (somewhat similar to use 2 Xeons X5600 family on the Z600 first generation mobo. Only 1 runs ).

Only 1 i7 is not competitive due to the fact HP mobo not allows overclocking and with only 2,6 Mhz the score may be similar to the Pavillon. In terms of Geekbench score: 1800 single e 7000 multicores. Some single i7-920 running @ 4 Mhz performs 3000 single and 14000 multicores. If 2 i7  run togheter they would reach 3000 single and 24000 multi core @ 4Mhz. On HP mobo this numers would fall (if they runs)  to  3000 and 14000 @ 2,6 Mhz. In other words the same performance of the dual Xeon E5630 8 cores but with better single core scoring (that matters in not intensive use)    

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

As I said, it may work for you and I hope that it does, it just isn't supported by HP.

HP Recommended

today arrived my new intel i7-920.

It DOES NOT WORK on Z600.

OS does not boot, fan goes maximum power within seconds and nothing else.

To tell the actual truth the story is longer than this.

When I dismounted the i7 I confused it with one of the the 2 Xeon. So I mounted the i7 again and 1 xeon together.

I believed the mobo dead.

Desperation.....................after 2 hours of panic I discovered the mismatching.

Windows 10 out.

It took to reinstall.

Signed, the stupid of the village (I dont know if this idiomatic forms runs in english....)

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

Not stupid, just willing to take a risk. :Wink:  If the i7 had worked, you had an excellent value for your dollar.

HP Recommended

I guess that the failure is due to the fact that Intel i7-920 does not allow registerd or ECC memory banks..... So when I mounted the single I7 it did not find the Ram.....May be....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.