Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 810-370st CTO
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello, and thank you for reading my post.

I have a 2015 ENVY Phoenix Desktop that I would like to upgrade to an SSD. I would appreciate the community's assistance re: the following:

1. Determining whether my computer is capable of such an upgrade, and
  2. If so, what kind of SSD would be appropriate for my BIOS/motherboard configuration, and
  3. Whether a particular SSD model I am eyeing (see below) would be acceptable.

This is the SSD I would like to get, if possible:

SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB

M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFZXR1B

---

Here are the details of my current setup: 

(Exported via Speccy)

Device details:

• HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 810-370st CTO
  • Product #: J6N65AV#ABA
  •  
  • Software Build #: 14AM3RCA601#SABA#DABA

System details:

• Operating System:  Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • CPU:  Intel Core i7 4960X @ 3.60GHz  (Ivy Bridge-E 22nm Technology)
  • RAM:  32.0GB DDR3 @ 797MHz (11-11-11-28)
  • Motherboard:  PEGATRON CORPORATION 2ACE (SOCKET 0)
  • Graphics:  HP 23cw (1920x1080@60Hz) --- 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 (HP) 
  • Storage: 3726GB Intel Raid 5 Volume (RAID)

Motherboard:

• Manufacturer: PEGATRON CORPORATION
  • Model: 2ACE (SOCKET 0)
  • Version: 1.09
  • Chipset Vendor: Intel
  • Chipset Model: Ivy Bridge-E
  • Chipset Revision: 04
  • Southbridge Vendor: Intel
  • Southbridge Model: X79
  • Southbridge Revision: 06

BIOS:

• Brand: AMI
  • Version: 8.20
  • Date: 06-Nov-14

PCI Data:

Slot #0

• Slot Type: PCI
  • Slot Usage: In Use
  • Data lanes: x16
  • Slot Designation: PCI Express x16 Slot 1
  • Characteristics: 3.3V, Shared, PME
  • Slot Number: 0

Slot #1

• Slot Usage: Available
  • Data lanes: x1
  • Slot Designation: PCI Express x1 Slot 1
  • Slot Number: 1

Slot #2

• Data lanes: x16
  • Slot Designation: PCI Express x16 Slot 2
  • Slot Number: 2

Slot #3

• Data lanes: x1
  • Slot Designation: PCI Express x1 Slot 2
  • Slot Number: 3

Slot #4

• Slot Type: PCI-E
  • Slot Usage: In Use
    Data lanes: x1
  • Slot Designation: Mini Card Slot 1
  • Slot Number: 4

---

Thank you for your support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes all of those options would work.  SATA 3 is the fastest SATA speed available, and your PC's disk controller supports the SATA 3 speed.

If you want the 2 TB SSD, you would probably want to opt for the Samsung 970 because is is a couple bucks cheaper than the WD Blue and they both have the same read/write speed specs.

If you want the 1 TB size, go with the WD Blue because that is a bit cheaper than the Samsung 970.

The WD Green is a budget priced SSD, which has a slower read/write speed than both the 970 or the WD Blue SSD's.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the motherboard specs for your PC.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, IPIWB-PB (Pittsburgh2) | HP® Customer Suppor...

It does not come with a M.2 slot to add a SATA or NVMe SSD.

You can replace the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD, and you would need to buy a 2.5" to 2.5" adapter to mount the SSD in place of where the hard drive is currently located.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your message. Sounds like I cannot use the upgrade I had my eye on, but I'm happy to have a somewhat better understanding of my system now.

Would something like one of the following four options work? All of them are listed as 2.5" SSD:

SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 2TB (MZ-77Q2T0B)

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-QVO-SATA-MZ-77Q2T0B/dp/B089C6LZ42

SAMSUNG 870 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E1T0B/AM)

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Inch-Internal-MZ-77E1T0B-AM/dp/B08QBJ2YMG

Western Digital 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS200T2B0A

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-2TB-SSD-WDS200T2B0A/dp/B073SBRHH6

Western Digital 2TB WD Green Internal PC SSD Solid State Drive - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 550 MB/s - WDS200T2G0A

https://www.amazon.com/Green-1TB-Internal-SSD-WDS100T2G0A/dp/B086NKQ389

If none of these are compatible, would you be able to explain why, and perhaps recommend an option that would work?

A related question: All options are listed as "SATA III". Is the III referring to the generation, and if so, is there a number I should stay under for compatibility with my 2015 system? Do I need to explicitly search certain specifics?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes all of those options would work.  SATA 3 is the fastest SATA speed available, and your PC's disk controller supports the SATA 3 speed.

If you want the 2 TB SSD, you would probably want to opt for the Samsung 970 because is is a couple bucks cheaper than the WD Blue and they both have the same read/write speed specs.

If you want the 1 TB size, go with the WD Blue because that is a bit cheaper than the Samsung 970.

The WD Green is a budget priced SSD, which has a slower read/write speed than both the 970 or the WD Blue SSD's.

HP Recommended

That's great to hear! And I appreciate your evaluations of the four options, as well.

The last thing I wanted to ask was about your comment re: how I would "need to buy a 2.5" to 2.5" adapter to mount the SSD in place of where the hard drive is currently located."

Is one of those 2.5" figures supposed to be something different? If not, could you please help me understand why an adapter is necessary for identical dimensions? Is it something to do with the input/output interface? And if it wouldn't be too much to ask, would you mind posting a link to a product on Amazon or Newegg that you might be able to recommend for this purpose? 

And please let me know if I might need any other tools/items (e.g. thermal paste) to finish the job.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry, I fat-fingered my reply there.

I meant to write that you need to purchase a 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive adapter.

They make several different designs, so you will need to look at how your 3.5" drive is mounted and figure out what adapter would work best.

For example, I had to dremel off the thinner crossbar shown on the top of the illustration, so the power and data cables could connect to the SSD without putting upward pressure on the drive's connectors.  The thin bar prevented the cables from going straight in to the drive, and put too much of a bend on both cables.

With that one minor modification to the adapter, it worked perfectly.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997037

Other folks just velcro or duct tape the SSD's to the cage somehow.

They make simpler ones, such as these.

Amazon.com: SSD HDD Holder 2.5 to 3.5 Mounting Bracket Hard Drive Adapter (2 Pack) (Black) : Electro...

More to look at...

Amazon.com : 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapter

You should just need a small screwdriver--normally Philips head.

Check the service manual for your PC for the hard drive removal and replacement procedure.

Upgrading and Servicing Guide (hp.com)

If you select a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter that works well for your drive's mounting configuration, it shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to install the SSD--depending on how easy it is to remove the hard drive from your PC.

HP Recommended

Appreciate the thorough reply, Paul; that was all really helpful, thanks! I just ordered the SSD (I went with the 2TB Samsung), and am looking through the adapters now. Hopefully, it should be a relatively painless process once all the pieces are here. 

Have a good rest of your day!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Even a SATA SSD will be a tremendous improvement over the 3.5" drive you have in there now.

You enjoy the rest of your day too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.