Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8100 Elite SFF PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks in advance for any tips - I recently decided to upgrade RAM. I looked up my motherboard model and the specs for RAM. The board limit is 16gb, and it has 4 slots. So I have 4 sticks of 4gb (each), matching the required frequency, DDRAM3 type, etc. Here is the RAM I have - https://www.pacificsunmemory.com/2x51642133p

When I install the ram and boot up, the increased ram size is detected. Then I save changes and I get some errors about "MSBIOS Table Mismatch" and/or a blue screen. Sometimes I can get it to start the windows loading screen, but the screen stalls when it says "Windows" and the windows icon fails to load. I can tell it's stuck. I can also put my old RAM in and boot up just fine at any point. It's not matching brands, but I have 3x 2Gb Sticks.

Here's what I've tried - upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, updating all drivers, reformatting the entire PC, tried booting one single stick of 4gb RAM at a time. A friend recommended I either lower my RAM speed to the bare minimum in BIOS (my BIOS doesn't appear to have that option) or disable shadowing, etc. I can't find anything else to try, ANY help is appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Nate615 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Technical Reference Guide for the computer.  In section 3.3, Memory Subsystem, Pages 3-4 to 3-6 it explains all about the memory.  The memory in your link appears to be correct.  However, your computer is 9 years old and the memory is new technology.  I have seen this make a difference in the past.  I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can give you an explanation to why you are experiencing problems.  They are the experts on their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I called the support line for this PC model and they refuse to help me upgrade hardware. They say it's not recommended to change any components. I guess I'm at a dead end? 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Nate615!  I am sorry that I didn't make myself clear, I meant contact the memory manufacturer's Tech Support; not HP.

HP Recommended

I went ahead and left a message for them as well. That makes sense. 🙂 I'll be sure to follow up, but they might not respond until after the holidays.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update!

I would appreciate hearing what they have to say.

HP Recommended

*Update*

I tried calling the RAM manufacturer to get support, but nobody ever called me back. I eventually returned the product and did some more research on my 304AH motherboard. I heard talk regarding low-density RAM. Today I tried an unconventional memory arrangement, but it worked.

2x 4GB DDR3 and 2x 2GB DDR3, alternating slots. (All low density RAM).

Thanks for taking a look and for your tips, Old_geekster!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update, @Nate615!  I am glad that you got it working correctly.

This is the first time that I have heard of a manufacturer's Tech Support not helping someone upgrade to their products.  I guess you know who not to buy from in the future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.