Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z2 Small Form Factor G5 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is an intermittent issue with keyboard and mouse input-response delay. I will be typing or switching between screens using ALT-TAB or any keyboard input, and also using the mouse wheel to scroll a window and there will be a delay to the response on the monitor. Or sometimes no response at all. It occurs whether I use the supplied HP wired keyboard and mouse or wireless Microsoft keyboard and Logitech mouse. It is happening right now as I type this!

I believe I have up to date drivers and BIOS. I have run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics and Norton 365 virus scan. No issues found.

The Windows Ease of Access feature is not turned turned on.

Any advice appreciated!

Richard

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Open the Windows "Task Manager" utility, and switch to its "Performance" tab.

Is the CPU running close to 100% ?

How much RAM? How much of it is "used" or "available" ?

How much disk-drive activity per second?

Any network traffic through the network adapter?

HP Recommended

Hi there, thanks for replying.

The CPU is generally running at very low levels, in the order of 3-4%.

Used memory says 9.5GB and available is 21.6GB and this is fairly constant (PC has 32GB installed)

Disk drive is aournd 1-2%, see below

Richm1963_0-1627961190567.png

Very little ethernet activity.

One thing I noticed is that the power usage seems to spoke when the input -response delay is happening. Goes up to Very High in the application being used. eg Outlook when typing with delay.  Not sire whether this is relevant or not....

Many thanks

Richard

HP Recommended

Are you using Outlook 365 as an app on your computer, or as a web-page within your web-browser?

Outlook 365 tends to send every character (or word) that you type to Microsoft, so that it can spell-check and "autosave" as you go. This creates Internet traffic, which may be your "bottle-neck".

If you type text into a program such as WORDPAD or NOTEPAD, do you still experience "delays" ?

HP Recommended

I do have Microsoft 365 including Outlook, but I do not use Outlook browser version.

The problem I have persists even if I close all other apps and type in Notepad as you suggest. I have shut down the router and I still have the problem.

I did wonder if there was some kind of graphics driver issue, but no one else seems to report anything similar.

I am not having an issue right now typing this. Problem is intermittent!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.