Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 520PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

From very recently whenever I hit spacebar entering text then the volume control comes on screen. Somehow I seem to have got spacebar hotkeyed to this function. How do Iget rid of it.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EricUU

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you want to disable the hot keys on your HP Notebook. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂  Kudos to you on that score.:)

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you do any changes in the BIOS?

Meanwhile

Follow the below steps to disable the hotkeys in BIOS:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.

3. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Figure : BIOS setup window

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected
  4. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

5. Disable it.

6. If it is disabled, you will have to press and hold the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

You can refer this HP Document for more assistance: https://hp.care/2HpNOad

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

My query is not regarding a notebook but a TouchSmart PC desktop. And I do not want to disable hotkeys, just understand why hitting spacebar launches the volume control (which then disappears after a second or two) and stop this happening.

I have not knowingly set this up. And interestingly, a couple of days ago it stopped happening, but has since started again !

The keyboard is model KG-1061 with remote connection to PC.

HP Recommended

@EricUU

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.