Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590-p0057c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to install a M.2 ssd. looking for the screw size which will fit pre installed stand off female screw. HP tech support doesn't seem to have and answer?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Sonny007

I had the same problem and looked on Amazon for an M.2. They wanted $5 for one screw, so I ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FTI8TM8

It is 500 screws for $9.90. I have since furnished M2 screws to several friends that were missing them. Some motherboards came with a screw, but not mine (and apparently, not yours).

I tried a couple different lengths that were in the package before settling on one.

Click the Accept as Solution if I resolved your issue.
Like this post? Click the thumbs up to show appreciation!

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding. I have already tried that. It's too big. It needs to be less than 2 mm, I think. Called HP and they can't provide a size for this either? It's very troubling!

HP Recommended

Hi @Sonny007

I have  that motherboard (Lincs) and added an M.2. The M2 screw will fit! M2.5 and M3 will not.

HP Recommended

I've just gone through this installing a Mushkin Pilot NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 500GB SSD onto the Lincs motherboard of the exact computer that you have, the HP Pavilion 590-p0057c. I had to drive about 30 miles round trip to get the screw. I seeminly had a bazillion screws from messing with computer upgrades almost 30 years, but the screw for a M.2 drive ain't one of them. Of course. During my 'studies' I found the following.

The exact screw size is 2.0 x 3mm (CM2x3-33).

I found THIS information less than helpful.

HOWEVER, if you do a search on Amazon for "m.2 screws motherboard" or at Fry's Electronics (Austin's local super parts store) search for "m.2 screw", up should come the exact items you are looking for.

In both instances you will sometimes see in the description that they are for Asus or MSI motherboards. They will often come with washers (which I didn't use) and even the standoffs/mounts (which are actually already on the motherboard).

If you have a magnetic tipped small Phillips head screwdriver, that really helps a lot getting the screw into place. I have big hands and found that things were very tight.

After that, it was simply a case of using Macrium Reflect Free to do the cloning (it works very easily) some BIOS settings and the like.

enjoy!

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.