Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking for a CPU or ram upgrade for my z420, I'm thinking of a Xeon e5-2690 or an e5-2687W, I saw a video from Linus tech tips and he said for the e5-2687w I had to get the OEM water cooler but I saw if I pressed f1 I could bypass it. Will not getting the water cooler make it overheat? Also what ram should I get, I know it takes ecc ddr3 but where do I find it? Please help (if needed the z420 is the version with the 2 6 pin PCIE cables)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Rylin,

What CPU or RAM configuration required for optimal system performance is very dependent on your intended use, e.g. gaming, CAD, rendering, etc. Please also check/confirm what boot block date is listed in the BIOS? This will clarify if your system supports the v2 CPU's which support higher memory clock frequencies.

With regards to pressing the F1 key to bypass the CPU cooler issue, this is not a good idea. It was cause the CPU to run hotter even with a moderate work load. It will not necessarily cause the CPU to fail, but it will throttle back the CPU frequency just to keep the CPU running within it's temperature/TDP limits. Please bare in mind that the E5-2687W is a 150W CPU, hence the reason for liquid cooling.

On the subject of RAM, check your BIOS boot block date. V2 CPU's support up to 1866MHz dimms, but the v1 CPU's can only run at 1600MHz,  or lower. I would recommend typing HP Z420 RAM in the ebay search bar to identify compatible RAM modules. As a rule, I would recommend using the same brand and specification of RAM modules in all the RAM slots. If your planning on using different sizes of dimm modules, then ensure the lowest capacity RAM modules are installed in the first 4 slots.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

I want to communicate with you. How did you allow me? I thought you could edit my Z420's bios. I'm looking for any way I can activate the turbo boost. Can you help me?

HP Recommended

Hi ESLAM3,

Please start a new post and I will try to assist you. This thread is dealing with a different topic to your question.

Hint: When starting a new thread, please give as much detail as possible regarding your workstation hardware configuration, e.g. CPU model, RAM, BIOS version and boot block date.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.