Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - 460-p274
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP Desktop - 460-p274 a month ago and immediately noticed the hard drive exhibits loud annoying sound while working. With the computer at rest and without any apps running it sounds like a small boat motor, When applications such as internet explorer are implemented, the noise is much louder and at higher, variable pitches.  I have had HP pc's in the past but I have not experienced this loud hard drive sound. I updated all BIOS and drivers when booting up for the first time.

Is this a normal expected sound?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,  I was able to determine exactly what the source was after digging a bit deeper. I removed the side access panel and was able to zero in on the CPU fan as the noise maker and not the hard drives. I began a search for a quieter fan replacement.

Thanks for you assistance.   

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@FRANKG6
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  I recommend you perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

• Step 1: Remove discs and devices
  • Step 2: Perform a hard reset
  • Step 3: Run hardware diagnostic tests
  • Step 4: Refresh or reset your PC. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04718479 to complete the troubleshooting steps. By end of the article, you will be able to fix the issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I have run all diagnostic tests but I am hesitant to perform a hard reset at this point. The hard set would require a full back-up for which I am not prepared for now, perhaps soon.

I have the desktop an arms length away from me. I will be relocating the pc under my desk to dampen the sound as I am assuming that this is a "normal" sound from the drive albeit distracting. I should have purchased a PC with a solid state drive.

HP Recommended

@FRANKG6

Thank you for posting back. 

Apologize for the inconvenience caused, I would suggest please back your files and data before performing a factory reset.

And also there is an option in recovery manager "perform system recovery keeping the files" this way your files and data will be protected. 

If it's a hard drive related issue HP can replace the faulty parts under factory warranty. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will likely take it to a service center while it is still under warranty. I have put it though HP stress tests as suggested and all drives pass. However, I believe that it the nature of this Seagate hard drive, noisy. This particular PC is a replacement for a 10 year old HP Pavilion. Its hard drive is extremely quiet and is still working.

HP Recommended

@FRANKG6

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted once you get your computer back from the service center.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,  I was able to determine exactly what the source was after digging a bit deeper. I removed the side access panel and was able to zero in on the CPU fan as the noise maker and not the hard drives. I began a search for a quieter fan replacement.

Thanks for you assistance.   

HP Recommended

@FRANKG6

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.