Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 870-090 V8Q22AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an Omen 870-090 V8Q22AA that I'd like to upgrade with an m.2 ssd. However, I can find very little information regarding the compatibility of the motherboard: Thimphu, Intel Z170, WIN.

The motherboard lists 2 empty m.2 drives but does not say what formats they support.

If it makes a difference- I was planning on outfitting a samsung 960 evo m.2 1TB NVMe.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Update to BIOS to the latest version. The earlier revision A0.14 added NVMe support and the latest revision would incorporate that functionality.  I also suggest that you update the diagnostics  first and run a full set to ensure that your PC is stable and additionally that the latest firmware management software is available on your PC.

The Samsung 960 EVO is an excellent choice for perf/cost.  I am using two of them in a RAID 0 configuration.

You can use the Acronis or Paragon disk image products (there are free version) to image (clone)  your boot device to the new NVMe device if you intend on using it as a boot device (I would do so).  After the installation and cloning process is done then boot up your PC tapping the ESC key to get the BIOS menu and select Boot menu (F9). You should see the new NVMe device listed so select it and see how it goes.  Later, you can enter the BIOS and change the boot order.

Thimpu M.2 SSD location.png

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Update to BIOS to the latest version. The earlier revision A0.14 added NVMe support and the latest revision would incorporate that functionality.  I also suggest that you update the diagnostics  first and run a full set to ensure that your PC is stable and additionally that the latest firmware management software is available on your PC.

The Samsung 960 EVO is an excellent choice for perf/cost.  I am using two of them in a RAID 0 configuration.

You can use the Acronis or Paragon disk image products (there are free version) to image (clone)  your boot device to the new NVMe device if you intend on using it as a boot device (I would do so).  After the installation and cloning process is done then boot up your PC tapping the ESC key to get the BIOS menu and select Boot menu (F9). You should see the new NVMe device listed so select it and see how it goes.  Later, you can enter the BIOS and change the boot order.

Thimpu M.2 SSD location.png

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick and thorough response!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.