Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
290-0043w

I have two HP Slimline Desktops 290-p0043w and two m.2 SATA type SSDs. Neither ssd will work in either computer - the computers don’t detect the drives. The drives are tested - known good and working in other computers. The HP computers’ slots work at least when a test m.2 nvme drive is installed. Is there a setting that must be switched somewhere to allow for SATA m.2 devices to work? I would figure if I only had one of each anything would be possible but it’s unlikely for two computers to have identical defects. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mattmu Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that M2 SSD is not working.

You have to disable secure boot, and enable legacy mode (if available) and then, check if it works.

Follow these steps to disable Secure Boot:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Press the power button to turn on the computer, and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

3. Press F10 to open BIOS Setup.

4. Use the right arrow key to choose the System Configuration menu, use the down arrow key to select Boot Options, then press Enter.

5. Use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot, press Enter, and then use the down arrow key to modify the setting to Disabled.

6. Press Enter to save the change.

7. Use the left arrow key to select the File menu, use the down arrow key to select Save Changes and Exit, then press Enter to select Yes.

8. The Computer Setup Utility closes and the computer restarts. When the computer has restarted, the Operating System Boot Mode Change screen appears, prompting you to confirm the Boot Options change. Type the code shown on the screen, then press Enter to confirm the change and continue to Windows.

let me know how that pans out,

And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!

Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 

Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Good luck.

HP Recommended

I see I neglected to mention. I've tried these steps as you've indicated already to no avail. I have also updated the bios from F22 to F31A. The slot is not defective as such - it detects NVMe drives just fine, but appears to be incompatible with SATA m.2 drives, which I am surprised to find.

HP Recommended

Hi Mattmu,

You have the solution.

Motherboard manufacturers decide what M.2 protocol to support.

Newer HP consumer PCs generally only support the PCIe protocol in M.2 sockets.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.