Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteOne 800 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We just got a couple EliteOne AiOs but the organization who bought them insists on getting them with 256gb M.2 SSDs. So we bought a 512 Samsung to do an upgrade. The problem is the Samsung M.2 is not detected in the BIOS. I have yet to find a solution on the HP forums. Most are pretty outdated and others mention BIOS options that do not exist with this particular model. For example, something about enabling the M.2 slot. That option does not exist. The SSD is firmly seated and screwed down. The original is a Toshiba 256gb. Both it and the Samsung upgrade have the two notches which would indicate SATA M.2 SSD. So one would think it would work. I haven't put the original SSD back yet to rule out if that is the problem.

Other than the SSD being defective, is there any reason why it would not work? The maintenance manual lists 512gb M.2 but does not specifically say if any brand is not compatible.

**** UPDATE ****

I replaced the original Toshiba SSD and it was detected. I put the Samsung back and it was not. So either this system does not like Samsung SSDs or the SSD is defective.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please provide the Samsung product number.

Some HP PCs only support PCIe 3.0x4 NVME devices.

No BIOS settings for NVME devices on many HP PCs. The correct device will be recognized by the BIOS.

A SATA M.2 device may not be detected by the BIOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

The original Toshiba SSD is M.2 has two notches which suggests it's SATA. The Samsung also has two notches and fits in the same slot. I don't have another Samsung to rule out if it's defective or if there is some lock that prevents the larger SSD from being used. Which makes no sense.

HP Recommended

It turns out the motherboard on this All-in-One only supports NVMe SSDs. The misleading thing was the Toshiba M.2 that was originally used has two notches and the slot on the mobo has the tab on the right side. Which is typically for NVMe SSDs. However, M.2 SATA SSDs can be used in the same slot if the mobo supports it through some setting. Which this one did not. I confirmed the NVMe thing by using a straight NVMe SSD that has just the one notch on the right side (5 pins from the right). The BIOS detected it with no issues. The Toshiba is labeled NVMe but it has two notches like an M.2 SATA SSD. So we assumed it was improperly labeled. But I guess if it was an improperly labeled SATA SSD, the mobo slot would have have the tab on the left side. So even if you tried to use an NVMe with two notches in an M.2 SATA slot, it probably would not have worked.

It would be nice if manufacturers would stick with SSD PCBs that had one notch either on the right or left depending on the specified speed. Things would be less confusing and we would be spending money on the right thing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.