Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Curved 34-a010 All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Request the specs for the M.2 SSD used on the Skydive-2GS in the Envy Curved 34 AIO. This is a 2016 unit and the few search engines that offer a suitable M.2 show it to be a SATA type but the one video showing disassembly clearly does not have the 2nd slot that's present in the SATA M.2

Wistron Motherboard Skydive-2GS SSD / Hard Drive Upgrades - FREE Delivery | Mr Memory®

Service Teardown: HP ENVY Pro Curved AiO Desktop PC series | HP Computer Service | HP - YouTube

It is my desire to install the M.2 SSD and use the orig HDD for bulk storage. 

Thanks

EnvyCurved

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To close the loop on this, and help anyone else who may be considering this upgrade, I did successfully upgrade my ENVY Curved34 AIO to an M.2 SSD.  It is a M form factor slot, not a B form factor, if that matters. I haven't figured out if that matters yet or not. Clearly you can't stick a M form factor M.2 (1 slots) into a B form factor socket(2 slots), but you can stick a B form factor M.2 SSD into an M form factor socket, I just don't know if it'll work.

I used a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 SSD and used the Samsung data migration software available for free from Samsung to  transfer the contents of the HDD, to include the OS to the SSD.  Then I disconnected the HDD (may not have been necessary) and used a USB sata adapter to reconnect in and format it to get the OS off of it. I deleted all partitions off the original HDD and reformatted the full drive for use as bulk storage, so now I have the OS running off the M.2 and I still have the original 5400 rpm,  1TB HDD for additional storage. 

The HP video doesn't show the screen being un-screwed, so here a two pics of opposite corners to show the three screws at each corner of the screen. The single screws at the top and bottom were not captivated very well. I couldn't see anything wrong but the brass inset nuts they screw into are not tight in their holder. I just used a small screw driver to apply upward pressure when unscrewing them and they came right out. 136686057_120186036610415_7616725407380568054_n.jpg137006834_875865489838907_8602488244725171943_n.jpg

I have had an issue where it appears the computer sticks on inital post when first powering on. Holding the power button to initiate a shutdown and pressing it again to restart seems to clear the issue and subsequent restarts from windows appear to have no issues. This issue has only happened when starting from a cold shut down after having been off for a little while. The computer goes to sleep and wakes up fine. I had simply intended to shut it all the way down if it was going to restart so fast because I'm not on it all the time. But if keeping it off is going to present problems when starting back up, I'm just going to leave it on most of the time since it restarts just fine. 

I did replace the tape on the plastic bezel with screen tape and reassembled, it looks like new and operates way faster than it ever has. Next thing I'll probably do is save all my files to the bulk drive and do a fresh soft ware load on the SSD now that it's working. This load has been running for over 3 years, it's time for a fresh load anyway. 

Hopefully this helps some one.

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus | Samsung V-NAND Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website

Amazon.com: MMOBIEL 1 mm Double Sided Layer Strong Adhesive Tape 50 m Long Roll (Black) for Smartpho...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EnvyCurved 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04846367

It simply has  One M.2 slot for SSD that means M.2 SATA SSD. Normally you can use 1TB or 2TB single sided M.2 SATA SSD drive, such as

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-860-evo-m-2-sata-250gb-mz...

I believe the video which is officially from HP, at point 9:33. Not other link.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

To close the loop on this, and help anyone else who may be considering this upgrade, I did successfully upgrade my ENVY Curved34 AIO to an M.2 SSD.  It is a M form factor slot, not a B form factor, if that matters. I haven't figured out if that matters yet or not. Clearly you can't stick a M form factor M.2 (1 slots) into a B form factor socket(2 slots), but you can stick a B form factor M.2 SSD into an M form factor socket, I just don't know if it'll work.

I used a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 SSD and used the Samsung data migration software available for free from Samsung to  transfer the contents of the HDD, to include the OS to the SSD.  Then I disconnected the HDD (may not have been necessary) and used a USB sata adapter to reconnect in and format it to get the OS off of it. I deleted all partitions off the original HDD and reformatted the full drive for use as bulk storage, so now I have the OS running off the M.2 and I still have the original 5400 rpm,  1TB HDD for additional storage. 

The HP video doesn't show the screen being un-screwed, so here a two pics of opposite corners to show the three screws at each corner of the screen. The single screws at the top and bottom were not captivated very well. I couldn't see anything wrong but the brass inset nuts they screw into are not tight in their holder. I just used a small screw driver to apply upward pressure when unscrewing them and they came right out. 136686057_120186036610415_7616725407380568054_n.jpg137006834_875865489838907_8602488244725171943_n.jpg

I have had an issue where it appears the computer sticks on inital post when first powering on. Holding the power button to initiate a shutdown and pressing it again to restart seems to clear the issue and subsequent restarts from windows appear to have no issues. This issue has only happened when starting from a cold shut down after having been off for a little while. The computer goes to sleep and wakes up fine. I had simply intended to shut it all the way down if it was going to restart so fast because I'm not on it all the time. But if keeping it off is going to present problems when starting back up, I'm just going to leave it on most of the time since it restarts just fine. 

I did replace the tape on the plastic bezel with screen tape and reassembled, it looks like new and operates way faster than it ever has. Next thing I'll probably do is save all my files to the bulk drive and do a fresh soft ware load on the SSD now that it's working. This load has been running for over 3 years, it's time for a fresh load anyway. 

Hopefully this helps some one.

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus | Samsung V-NAND Consumer SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website

Amazon.com: MMOBIEL 1 mm Double Sided Layer Strong Adhesive Tape 50 m Long Roll (Black) for Smartpho...

HP Recommended

Bottom LeftBottom LeftTop RightTop Right

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.