Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProDesk 600 G3 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so I gave two identical ProDesk 600 SFF G3 with the Core i3-6100, cool!! - 

problem is, I can't get the Western Digital Green M.2 120GB SSD to be seen in the BIOS. I plugged it into the slot, secured it with the screw <- easy. Windows 10 doesn't even see it on the profiler, in fact it doesnt show it up at all in the BIOS. ( alos tired a Live version of Lubuntu and no dice)

okay so for s**ts and giggles, I installed it on to a PCIe adapters (same one I have in my ProDesk 600 G2 dual booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu - which HAS NO M.2 slot onboard).. nothing, no change. I placed it in my the G2 and holy foxes it works so I formatted it for Linux with the same PCIe card and it was showing on Win10. go to place it back my 600 G3's M.2 slot.. nothing, no show, its like it's "Dead" but when I bought it, the company I got it from said they tested EVERYTHING before shipping. 

is there a trick or something to get the M.2 slot to work or so something ? I've been up and down the UEFI BIOS for 2 hours, trying different things to no avail. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

update - after a few days, it turns out that it's an NVMe M.2 Slot,  not a SATA SSD M.2 Slot - got a WD Blue 500GB NVME in there, and BOOM - got the notice there was an expansion change and I had to press F1 to continue, shows up in the UEFI menu and loaded right away in Windows 10 Pro 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

the company I got it from said they tested EVERYTHING before shipping. 

It is not likely that they tested the RAM in a motherboard that is identical to yours.

Is there anything in the BIOS settings for the ProDesk 600 SFF G3 that you may have missed?

Given that the motherboard has an M.2 slot, it should support such a "small capacity" (120 GB) memory-card, i.e., it is not too old such that it does not support M.2 cards.

Puzzling!

HP Recommended

update - after a few days, it turns out that it's an NVMe M.2 Slot,  not a SATA SSD M.2 Slot - got a WD Blue 500GB NVME in there, and BOOM - got the notice there was an expansion change and I had to press F1 to continue, shows up in the UEFI menu and loaded right away in Windows 10 Pro 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.