Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I´ve recently purchased an OMEN 870-244 desktop pc and I want to upgrade it with an M.2 SSD drive. My questions are:

1) Is a Samsung 960 Pro series PCIe NVMe M.2 compatible with my PC?

2) In more general terms, does my PC  support PCI Express x4 NVMe drives?

Many thanks,

Carlos

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @CPHLAN328,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. II thank you for your great response. You've displayed infinite patience, fabulous research coupled with an indefatigable spirit to find more information about it. Kudos to you for a job well done. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you and to work with you. Smiley Happy

Please check these links out and that will answer your question regarding SSDs. (What do you mean by "key A" and "keyM"?

These are third party links. Please do not click on any unnecessary ad, image, download, popup or link or anywhere else as these are third party links meant only for viewing information and following instructions relevant to the actual issue.

Link 1: http://hp.care/2sGyhGY Please check the chart out and it will give you all the answers.

Link 2 Wikipedia: http://hp.care/2sGiO9Q 

Trust me I've done all I can to help you here. A lot of research has and efforts have gone into it.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @CPHLAN328,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding upgrades of an SSD. It will be a delight to assist you here.:)Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check the PC’s product specs and the motherboard’s product specs?

Some key points to remember:

• The M.2 Slots on the motherboard are One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M
  • So on paper, based on the form factor, latest bios, the Samsung SSD could be supported.

Product specs of the computer: http://hp.care/2tD0Ucv

Product specs of the motherboard: http://hp.care/2tCRm16

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance. However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

So please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician and perform the upgrade so that there are no compatibility issues with the SSD for your computer and everything works smoothly.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for your answer, but you forgot to answer the second question.

Whay do you mean by "key A" and "keyM"?
HP Recommended

Hi @CPHLAN328,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. II thank you for your great response. You've displayed infinite patience, fabulous research coupled with an indefatigable spirit to find more information about it. Kudos to you for a job well done. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you and to work with you. Smiley Happy

Please check these links out and that will answer your question regarding SSDs. (What do you mean by "key A" and "keyM"?

These are third party links. Please do not click on any unnecessary ad, image, download, popup or link or anywhere else as these are third party links meant only for viewing information and following instructions relevant to the actual issue.

Link 1: http://hp.care/2sGyhGY Please check the chart out and it will give you all the answers.

Link 2 Wikipedia: http://hp.care/2sGiO9Q 

Trust me I've done all I can to help you here. A lot of research has and efforts have gone into it.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@CPHLAN328, Have you installed M. 2 SSD yet? Is it PCIE?
HP Recommended

I installed the Samsung 960 Evo in my Omen 870-244.  Works great.  No problems, just have to take out the video card 1st.

1 (1).jpg2 (1).jpg

HP Recommended

And yes, it is PCI express.

HP Recommended

I installed a 970 EVO SSD in an HP Omen 870-244 with no issues. The graphics card has to be removed for the installation. The screw size for the installation on the Thimphu-K motherboard is M3x50 .  After the install, I did not see the drive listed in "This PC" in Windows until after I installed the driver and cloned the drive using the Magician software.  I had to format my hard disk to remove the OS or it would boot to the hard disk instead of the SSD ignoring the boot order I had set in the BIOS.  Here's a pic of the card installed in the motherboard M.2 slot (less the hold down screw, I had to source at Ace Hardware).  Boot time from shut down to Windows is @11seconds. [edit]

IMG_2249.jpg

HP Recommended

so is adding the 970 EVO SSD worth it.

I have an omen 870-244 and what to inprove preformance. Increase speed.

Best site to get it

Thanks

HP Recommended

Same here - just completed it over the last two days and fitted my Omen with Samsung 970 Pro.

Physical installation was a doddle - and I even managed to hoover my PC a bit as it admittedly got very dusty over the last couple of years. It's very very tight in there (and I knew that already - previously connecting SATA cables to SATA ports on MoBo was a real challenge!) but with patience and carefulness this upgrade can be easily done in 15-30 minutes time.

Surprisingly (for me, I've done this before so not sure what happened this time) I messed up cloning exercise a bit - to a point that I lost boot ability off the old drive... However Macrium off-line WinPE Rescue Media came to help - and I also migrated partitions in this mode (strongly recommend doing it off-line). From there all was well and my old SSD will be used of other purposes soon...

Cannot say that I feel that my OS is/feels tremendously faster - perhaps because my previous OS drive was rather speedy Samsung Pro 850 and I keep all my data on separate traditional HDD. Also, my CPU (i5) probably becomes the bottleneck here, might upgrade to i7 at some stage... All the same: benchmarks indicate 2.5-3.5 GB/s throughputs - which also confirms full PCIe 3.0 x 4 utilisation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.