Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6311it
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, before asking the question, this is che current configuration working perfectly.

From the base configuration I upgraded the HD, the PSU, the graphic card, the sound card, the CPU cooler and the amount of memory. I also add a 512MB SSD as primary OS disk:

CPU: Intel I5-750 Lynnfield Socket 1156 LGA

CPU cooler: Cooler Master HYPER TX3i 
MB: MSI MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) 1.0 BIOS American Megatrends v5.07 12/21/2009
RAM: 4x4GB (16GB total) DDR3 PC3-10700 (667 MHz) Kingston
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Enermax Revolution XT ii (550W)
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Z
SSD 515MB Kingston (O.S. primary disk)
HD 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Monitor: HP2310i

Now the problem:

reading the motherboard tech specifications I decided to upgrade also the CPU. I've got two Intel I7-860 (2.8GHz) that I'm sure were perfectly working before being taken from old PCs. 

in few words the PC power on apparently normally, leds on, SSD LED blinking (means OS is starting, I think..), network leds blinks.., fans rotating.., but the monitor remains in stand-by (the power led remains "amber" instad of expected "blue"), indicating that it is not receiving any video signal.

Before the "power on" I reset the CMOS, as described in the tech specs, moving the jumper JBAT-1 on the 2-3 pins for more then 10s and then put it back on pins 1-2 (I' did not remove the CR2032 battery).

I also would like to update the BIOS but didn't find a way to do it. Just found a 6.18 version (also very old, anyway, indicated for the same MB but on different systems) but requires WIN7 for the installation and I'm running WIN10 (I've no way to reverse back to WIN7). 

Since I've two I7 CPUs, just to be sure, I replaced the first one with the second I7. Same results. No video signals.

Touching the I7 CPUS,  both were warm, so electric power circulate into them..

Obviously I always put the CPU cooler on, with thermal  compound, before switching the power on.

Restoring the native I5-750 everything return normal (except the fact, of course, that I had to set again the BIOS configuration .

The question is: am I doing something wrong? Anyone did the CPU upgrade successfully on this MB? I know that BIOS is very old, but the I7-860 CPUs are also old.. and they are listed as compatible on the Iona MB tech specifications.

Any help will be very appreciated

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The last available bios is the one given.
It should work!
I understood correctly for the processor, but in case you do a test with the bare minimum, remove the graphics card, added memory etc if possible
Restart the pc while trying to go directly to the bios, see if it works and if it is detected normally.
You may not get feedback from other users, I’m looking for something in this series
I had thought of finding something, but for the moment nothing, it is a pc with several configurations, but not this proc!

HP Pavilion p6370t Desktop PC Product Specifications and Configurable Options

Edit
I no longer believed in it, but I finally found
And it should be ok, you have this model

HP Pavilion p6360uk Desktop PC Product Specifications
Now remains to know what is wrong, and there I do not think I can help more than that ..

What is the processor exactly, I doubt it will be different, but you never know?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello
indeed the processor should be compatible.

Motherboard Specifications, MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E)

The latest compatible update for this motherboard is MS-7613 Motherboard BIOS Update 5.15
this says nothing about the compatibility of the proc:
MS-7613 Motherboard BIOS update resolves issue with incorrect processor fan speed after resuming from sleep mode.
Fix and enhancements:
Resolves issue with incorrect processor fan speed after resuming from sleep mode.
Resolves issue with no display on systems with 6GB memory installed (3x2GB).
Resolves issue with the system hanging and displaying a black screen after a reboot.

MS-7613 Motherboard BIOS Update 

Even if the os is windows 10, it works quite often, provided you install with privileges, right click, install as administrator

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

First of all let me thank you for your answer.

I will try the BIOS 5.15 upgrade.. crossing fingers!

I'll be back with an update as soon as I can.

Thanks

HP Recommended

The BIOS update to version 5.15 was successful, but didn't fix the problem.

I did again a CMOS reset but.. nothing.

To correct what was initially described, the SSD LED does not flash. The feeling is that the BIOS does not start with the I7 cpu installed (I tried both the two I7s available to me).. It simply turns on (fans rotate, network adapter and Soundblaster LEDs light up), the CPU gets hot, but no video signal... As if it didn't feel any cpu mounted.

All the similar problems that I found on the internet are solved with CMOS reset and BIOS update. I'm afraid that, despite the I7-860 processor being given as compatible, this actually isn't, unless there is a significant BIOS update. Is it possible that there is not a more recent update greater then 5.15? And no one who can confirm that he's running the same MB MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) with an I7-860 on board?

Again, to exclude any other possible failing components, reassembling the I5 everything has returned to normal. And yes, I'm absolutely sure that both the I7 are fine. Has been tested on another PC and are running fine.

I just have to try the dark magic ...

HP Recommended

The last available bios is the one given.
It should work!
I understood correctly for the processor, but in case you do a test with the bare minimum, remove the graphics card, added memory etc if possible
Restart the pc while trying to go directly to the bios, see if it works and if it is detected normally.
You may not get feedback from other users, I’m looking for something in this series
I had thought of finding something, but for the moment nothing, it is a pc with several configurations, but not this proc!

HP Pavilion p6370t Desktop PC Product Specifications and Configurable Options

Edit
I no longer believed in it, but I finally found
And it should be ok, you have this model

HP Pavilion p6360uk Desktop PC Product Specifications
Now remains to know what is wrong, and there I do not think I can help more than that ..

What is the processor exactly, I doubt it will be different, but you never know?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the time you spend on my problem.

Happy to see that really exist an I7-xxx version sold on the market. I confirm that my both I7s are I7-860 2.80 MHz.

I will try as suggested to start the pc with a minimal HW configuration. We'll see..

HP Recommended

I did all the possible tests; I removed the graphics card, memories, usb 3.0 card .. I reset the CMOS using JBAT-1 jumper, I also removed the CMOS battery for half an hour. Nothing.

As a joke I tried to start the PC without any CPU: same behavior. With the I7-860s on board it is as if there is no CPU installed.

At this point I give up. It is evident that the IONA motherboard, with BIOS 5.15 is not able to drive an I7-860 CPU.

It was nice to try, but now I stop here. I keep the I5-750, which is still fine, and thank you again for your support.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.