Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
700-311na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if anyone can direct me to the latest bios update for the MS-7826 (Kalli) motherboard. I know that the mobo has been out now for over seven years, but I wanted to upgrade the CPU to a i7 4790k  and will be passing this down to my daughter who is just starting out on PCs.

I read that in order to successfully do this CPU upgrade, I will need to update the bios, and have read several places on the net where people have successfully done so, but I can't find the bios update anywhere on the HP or MSI support website.

Appreciate someone just adding a link or simple letting me know where to find this.

Thanks all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The available BIOS updates can be found under the Windows 8.1 driver section on your PC's support page.

HP ENVY 700-311na Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You have two issues...

1. You need to make sure you select the right BIOS update for the BIOS family your PC's BIOS has.

Looks like there are 3 different ones.

2.  You are running W10, and the updates were written to be run on W8.1.

There is no telling what will happen if you try to update the BIOS when running W10.

It may work fine, or it may put your plans to upgrade the processor do a dead stop, because the PC will no longer be usable.

I recommend that if you can, reinstall W8.1, update the BIOS with the applicable update, and reinstall W10.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The available BIOS updates can be found under the Windows 8.1 driver section on your PC's support page.

HP ENVY 700-311na Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

You have two issues...

1. You need to make sure you select the right BIOS update for the BIOS family your PC's BIOS has.

Looks like there are 3 different ones.

2.  You are running W10, and the updates were written to be run on W8.1.

There is no telling what will happen if you try to update the BIOS when running W10.

It may work fine, or it may put your plans to upgrade the processor do a dead stop, because the PC will no longer be usable.

I recommend that if you can, reinstall W8.1, update the BIOS with the applicable update, and reinstall W10.

HP Recommended

Hello
sorry, but if I may allow myself before you make a mistake ..

Hello according to the product page the computer is equipped with the Intel Core i7 4790

Motherboard Specifications, MS-7826 (Kaili)

According to the motherboard plug unlike the version:

Intel Core i7 4770 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core
up to 84 W
Intel Core i7 4770K (Haswell) 3.5 GHz Quad Core
up to 84 W

indeed we have the version, but not the k

Intel Core i7 4790 (Haswell) 3.6 GHz Quad Core
up to 84 W

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/fr/fr/ark/products/80807/intel-core-i7-4790k-processor-8m-cache-up...

i7-4790K   tdp 88 W
 the k being the unlocked version!
useful, if you do not want to overclock your processor, moreover not often possible with an hp motherboard

For the bios version, the SSID of the motherboard:

• HP/Compaq name: Kaili
  • SSID: 2AF3

just check, but available updates are shown with usable SSID

HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)

80.21 Rev.A

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)

80.25 Rev.A

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AF3)

80.24 Rev.A

to say
unless you have a real need to replace it, maybe you can avoid this, especially if you must not upgrade to Windows 8, before ..
The setup is reasonable, this change if possible won't make a huge change if you can't overclock it.

on the other hand, if you haven't already done so, the computer has an HDD disk, maybe installing an SSD would be just as interesting?

HP ENVY 700-311na Desktop PC Product Specifications

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Many thanks, I'll see if I can return to W8

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You can download W8.1 from the link below.  Select the plain W8.1 ISO file.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below, that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a DVD or USB flash drive, so that it is bootable.

After you update the BIOS, you can upgrade back to W10 for free by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Another thing you can do before installing W8.1, would be to use the free Macrium Reflect imaging software, make a backup of the current W10 configuration, store it on a portable hard drive.

You want the file on the left side of the page under the Backup at Home section.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

The software will also have you make a bootable DVD or USB recovery disk that you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Then in just a few minutes, your current installation will be restored.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I just downloaded and flushed the bios and now the rig is working perfectly. Well impressed with the increased speeds afforded by the i7 4790k, couldn't be happier

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad that the BIOS update worked for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.