Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I recently purchased an HP8300 and cannot get 32 GB of Memory. I have 8 GB. Chips but when I add the third and fourth chips, the computer beeps 5 time and does not start. When I examine the manual (file c03347207) page 97 seems to say that 16 GB is the maximum amount of memory. I would appreciate an answer on whether or not I can use  four each 8 GB chips or not. Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Do you have any of the original memory to test in the white slots even if it is not 8 GB?

If the memory works in the white slots, then I go back to saying it is the memory you bought.

According to page 9 of the HP quickspecs, the 8300 Elite SFF PC supports 4 x 8 GB of memory, and as I wrote above, my older HP 8200 elite CMT's with the Intel i7-2600 processors support 32 GB of memory just fine.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea why none of the memory chips work in the white sockets in your PC.

I doubt a BIOS update would resolve the problem, as the PC should support 32 GB of memory with the original BIOS installed.

Please refer to this discussion where it shows that 8 GB memory modules work.

This configuration was 2 x 8 GB.

Solved: Elite 8300 SFF extra ram - HP Support Community - 5554579

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Hi:

Page 9 of the HP quickspecs at the link below indicate 32 GB of memory is supported in the SFF and CMT form factors.

ManualsLib - Makes it easy to find manuals online!

I have two HP 8200 Elite CMT's and they both run 32 GB of memory just fine.

I'd post the links to the memory I bought, but yours uses DDR3-1600 memory and I bought DDR3-1333 MHz memory.

What 8 GB memory model and part number did you buy?

HP Recommended

This was my first order for additional chips:

This is record of my adventures in chip replacement

Surprisingly, these chips worked in the black sockets. In the white sockets they just caused the computer to beep 5 times and not start.

First order was from Walmart.

2 each DMS Compatible/Replacement for HP Inc. B4U37AA Elite 8300 8GB DMS Certified Memory DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) 1024x64 CL11 1.5v 240 Pin DIMM - DMS. This was returned

This was ordered from Amazon per the link that Lindsey  at Refurbtek gave me:
DDR3L / DDR3 1600MHz PC3L-12800 / PC3-12800 240-Pin Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.35V / 1.5V CL11 Dual Rank 2Rx8 based 512x8
This is being returned.

This was my last attempt to get additional memory:
DMS Compatible/Replacement for HP Inc. B4U37AA Elite 8300 8GB DMS Certified Memory DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) 1024x64 CL11 1.5v 240 Pin DIMM - DMS I purchased these due to the fact that I was told these would work.

HP Recommended

I'd go with the Crucial chip...they guarantee compatibility.

The first one listed...

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | elite 8300 series | HP Compaq Elite 8300 Small Form Factor...

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, but none of the chips worked in the white sockets. My question was more to find out if the 8300 could use four 8 GB chips for 32 GB of RAM since the manual seems to indicate otherwise. If this combination is supposed to work, is the problem a hardware or a firmware issue? I am hoping it is a correctable firmware issue. Thanks for your interest and assistance.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Do you have any of the original memory to test in the white slots even if it is not 8 GB?

If the memory works in the white slots, then I go back to saying it is the memory you bought.

According to page 9 of the HP quickspecs, the 8300 Elite SFF PC supports 4 x 8 GB of memory, and as I wrote above, my older HP 8200 elite CMT's with the Intel i7-2600 processors support 32 GB of memory just fine.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea why none of the memory chips work in the white sockets in your PC.

I doubt a BIOS update would resolve the problem, as the PC should support 32 GB of memory with the original BIOS installed.

Please refer to this discussion where it shows that 8 GB memory modules work.

This configuration was 2 x 8 GB.

Solved: Elite 8300 SFF extra ram - HP Support Community - 5554579

HP Recommended

The original chips did not work in the white sockets. The situation is that all chips worked in the black sockets. None worked in the white sockets. I hoped it was a firmware problem since the computer recognized that there was a problem (the 5 beeps). 

Please do not work on this further as I am resigned to not knowing. Thanks for your help and interest.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 5 beep code is definitely not a firmware problem.

It is either a memory module problem, or a motherboard problem.

See the troubleshooting guide at the link below, Appendix A, page 58 for how to troubleshoot the 5 beep code/red flashing LED error.

c01516072.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

I looked at the troubleshooting file and maybe the business PC's are different. My computer beeps 5 times and does not repeat. I did not notice a flashing red LED. Thanks and Have a Nice Day.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The red flashing LED would be the front power LED.  Instead of green it would flash red.

If you have a way to reinstall Windows or have a product key (Windows may ask to be activated when a new motherboard is installed), it were me, and I wanted to run 32 GB of memory in the PC, I would buy a used but tested and working 8300 Elite SFF motherboard on eBay.

They are cheaper than an 8 GB memory chip.  Just make sure you get one for the SFF and not the USDT, that doesn't have a BIOS P/W on it.

hp elite 8300 sff motherboard | eBay

You have a nice day too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.