Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hey Everyone,

First time poster, not good at brevity, I'll just apologize now to get ahead of it. I'm not a troll, a hater of HP, or looking for people to annoy. This isn't to say that I'm not any of those things at some point or another, or that I've never found myself wallowing in a cognitive pool of self inflicted misery which manifested because I was indeed being all three of them together. I am, however, saying that I won't do them here.

System: HP Envy Desktop - 795-0025T

It's currently equipped with the same memory it was shipped from the factory with:

12 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM memory (3) (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)

Assuming I'm replacing the 2 OEM RAM modules, does this my motherboard have a hard upper limit with respect to the module speed? If I throw a 4,000MHz Daisy Cutter down it's throat, will it actually be able to keep up with the data juggling at that speed? If not, does the motherboard simply run data through the RAM at the highest speed is capable of, or does it open a micro black hole inside the computer case, tear the space time fabric into cat litter, and we all just cease to exist?

Or, something else?

Thanks!!!

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Pete,

The motherboard needs BIOS support to use Intel extreme memory profiles (XMP), which is an overclocking option to run faster memory modules.

HP does not do this on consumer motherboards. So compatible faster memory would only run at DDR4-2666. Memory using different timings (not different speeds) may not be recognized by some HP motherboards.

You could try IXTU (Link). No guarantee it will work on compatible faster memory.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi Pete,

The motherboard needs BIOS support to use Intel extreme memory profiles (XMP), which is an overclocking option to run faster memory modules.

HP does not do this on consumer motherboards. So compatible faster memory would only run at DDR4-2666. Memory using different timings (not different speeds) may not be recognized by some HP motherboards.

You could try IXTU (Link). No guarantee it will work on compatible faster memory.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.