Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an m7664x that I will be upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7 and I want to upgrade the RAM.

According to the product specs, it has the A8M2N-LA (NodusM3) motherboard with 4 DIMMs.  On that page, it says that it supports up to 4 GB of RAM at 667 MHz.

Now, I've come across a few posts here and elsewhere that suggest that it can handle more (up to 8 GB) and higher RAM speeds (PC6400 / 800 MHz) and have it recognized and utilized.

Can anyone confirm that it can support up to 8 GB of RAM and with higher speeds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wow, what an old thread!

To answer your question and to update this thread, I bit the bullet and bought 8GB of 800 MHz RAM and it's been working for close to a year now.  I seem to remember that I ran MemTest on it and it shows that it's indeed running at 800 MHz but it's been a long while since I would've done it, if I did.

I also thought about upgrading the processor but already by the time I installed the RAM (close to a year ago), the compatible processors were hard to find and expensive.  Plus, the machine wasn't used for anything other than general duties and was also hampered by on-board graphics to boot.  In the end, spending extra money on RAM for a pretty old computer was the limit for me.

blueeclipse86, you can try and upgrade the RAM on your machine as I did but, of course, I can't guarantee that it'll work for you.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

MP, the Motherboard Specs page says that HP supports a maximum of 4GB of memory, as you stated.  HP changes the mobos to meet their needs.  The same mobo from the manufacturer may support more memory.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Right, but this machine is a few years old and I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried RAM faster than 667 MHz and at more than 4 GB.

HP Recommended

I am interested in finding this out as well. I originally purchased the a1630n but it uses the same motherboard as the model you listed here. I was also looking into upgrading the CPU and it seems that so long as you're using the same core, mine's a 90nm Windsor, that it should recognize and support it. I've heard that some have upgraded to the 6000+ but that is second hand information. It would be great to find out from someone who has done either or both of these upgrades and what their findings were.

Edited for errors.

HP Recommended

MP, you could be correct.  However, if you do upgrade as you mention, there is no guarantee that it will work.  When HP publishes the specs for their computers, they don't intend them to be used in any other way.  It may work or it may not.  It is your call.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Wow, what an old thread!

To answer your question and to update this thread, I bit the bullet and bought 8GB of 800 MHz RAM and it's been working for close to a year now.  I seem to remember that I ran MemTest on it and it shows that it's indeed running at 800 MHz but it's been a long while since I would've done it, if I did.

I also thought about upgrading the processor but already by the time I installed the RAM (close to a year ago), the compatible processors were hard to find and expensive.  Plus, the machine wasn't used for anything other than general duties and was also hampered by on-board graphics to boot.  In the end, spending extra money on RAM for a pretty old computer was the limit for me.

blueeclipse86, you can try and upgrade the RAM on your machine as I did but, of course, I can't guarantee that it'll work for you.

HP Recommended

This is indeed an old post.  I know since I've been looked everywhere myself. 

This board will support 4x2Gb PC6400 Ram, however note that it is picky about the type of ram you choose.  Many of the "Generic" or "House" brand memory will not work. 

As a personal satisfactory note I'd like to add that it also will support a much faster CPU, which guess what they are fairly cheap now.  Athlon X2 6000+ ADA6000IAA6CZ Windsor cost me $40 off Amazon.  Works like a charm 🙂

Here is some good info from a ton of people who have tried all this and listed their success and failures to help everyone out.  http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/A8M2N-LA.html

HP Recommended

The old thread that won't die LOL

I upgraded the OEM A8M2N-LA MB that came with my HP M7664x from AMD Athelon 64x2 4200, 533 MHz to AMD Athelon 64x2 5000+, 667 MHz dual core processor.  I previously installed Win 7 Pro 64 bit OS on my PC this summer after running accross the Max CPU Upgrade link posted above first.  More research led me to this thread as well.

Due to the reported success of being able to install 8 GB of RAM at up to 800 Mhz with upgraded CPU and available BIOS update,  I ordered  4 2GB Ram modules by G. Skill (Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) from NewEgg.

Unfortunately my PC would not boot up.  I just got the beeping/alarm sound.  I reseated all of them a second time just to make sure they were all making good contact and got the same result. Reinstalled old RAM and it booted up just fine.  I know it was mentioned that the MB didn't like some of the lower end 2GB RAM modules so went with one of the higher end ones.

One variable I notice however is that the latest BIOS update listed as compatible with 64 bit OS is only 3.10.  The 5.07 Bios update indicates it is only for 32 bit OS... I was not aware of this when I decided to go with the 64bit version of Win 7 thinking that the 64 bit would offer better performance over the 32 bit version.

New Egg customer service was a complete joke for any technical support and I had to pay $10 plus return shipping in addition to a $20 plus restocking fee.  Obviously before I waste any more time and money (will buy local next time) I am trying to determine;

1. Does anyone know if or been able to get 8MB of 800Mhz RAM to work with the 64 bit version of Windows 7? 

I didn't think the OS determined which level of Bios update one could update the MB to...always thought the two were independent.

2. Is there newer compatible Bios for 64 bit versions of Windows 7 than 3.10?

Obviously installing the wrong Bios could or would be disastrous so I am not willing to see if the 5.07 Bios would work just to upgrade my RAM.

and/or

3. How likely is it just a RAM compatibility issue with the MB versus something to do with the BIOS version or 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Thanks for any info or recommendations anyone can provide.

Refusing to make waves is not an indicator of a life well lived. Refusing to make waves is the state that precedes drowning. - Paul Coughlin author
HP Recommended

Two weeks ago I installed 8GB DDR2-800 into my stock m7664x and all is still working fine.  The BIOS setup shows 800MHz, and the memory test passes with no issues.  For the record:

HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7664x Desktop PC

2 x Crucial CT2KIT25664AA800 4GB Kit ($50 each)

HP Recommended

Sandmant,

Can you tell me whether you are using a 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

On that ASUS upgrade site there was a newer BIOS available (according to the numerical description) for 32 bit systems that was reported as supporting the higher speed processors that is NOT available for the 64 bit version for some reason 😞

When I upgraded to Windows 7 I went with the 64 bit version thinking it would to optimize everything more than the 32 bit OS and more efficiently.  I'm not sure if 32 vs 64 bit versions could also affect the RAM options but the RAM I bought was more expensive and considered rather high end at least for that older type of RAM.

Refusing to make waves is not an indicator of a life well lived. Refusing to make waves is the state that precedes drowning. - Paul Coughlin author
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.