Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion All-in-One 27-a112
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the memory in this computer from 4 GB to 16 GB.  I have located the modules at the Crucial website, however I have two choices.  One of the module pairs is identified as "single ranked" and the other pair of modules is identified as "dual ranked."  Which does this computer take?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BurtF0,

Going by the product specifications of the computer again from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05273512

Memory upgrade information

Dual channel memory architecture

Two DDR4 SODIMM (260-pin) sockets

Supports up to PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)

Supports 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB DDR4 SODIMMs

Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

NOTE:

32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit systems

NOTE:

Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

So please go with dual rank. A lot of factors come into play for a memory upgrade.

1. the Bus speed of the Ram module.

2. Its form factor should fit the motherboard's slot and connectors.

3. The type of Ram module, whether it is DDR3 or DDR4

4.Single channel or dual channel. (Your computer has dual channel DDR4 ram modules installed)

You should not end up buying memory that is not compatible with the motherboard. That's why I suggested that you contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician before performing the upgrade.

Please let me know how this goes. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @BurtF0,

Good Day! Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums!. I hope you enjoy your experience! 🙂 It is a terrific place to find answers and tips and to get the best from the community.

I reviewed the post regarding memory upgrades. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

Stupendous diagnosis and great analysis of the situation. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. 🙂

I have looked up the product specifications of the computer and the motherboard specifications also. The maximum supported memory for the computer is 16GB.

Single Rank Vs dual rank memory Link: https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html

This article clearly explains the difference.

Please make sure to consult a local technician for memory upgrades. That will definitely ensure that the correct compatible  module is installed and the unit works great.

Please check with a local Best Buy or staples technician before the upgrade so that the correct Ram module that is compatible with this configuration is installed.

Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance.

​​​​​​​However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solutionas it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So does this mean that I can use either single rank or dual rank memory modules in this computer?

HP Recommended

Hi @BurtF0,

Going by the product specifications of the computer again from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05273512

Memory upgrade information

Dual channel memory architecture

Two DDR4 SODIMM (260-pin) sockets

Supports up to PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)

Supports 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB DDR4 SODIMMs

Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

NOTE:

32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit systems

NOTE:

Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

So please go with dual rank. A lot of factors come into play for a memory upgrade.

1. the Bus speed of the Ram module.

2. Its form factor should fit the motherboard's slot and connectors.

3. The type of Ram module, whether it is DDR3 or DDR4

4.Single channel or dual channel. (Your computer has dual channel DDR4 ram modules installed)

You should not end up buying memory that is not compatible with the motherboard. That's why I suggested that you contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician before performing the upgrade.

Please let me know how this goes. 

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @BurtF0,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with a technically competent and tech-savvy customer like you and to share this platform with you.

I hope the upgrade goes through without hassles and the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

If this helps,

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Greetings.  Further to my post regarding my desire to upgrade the RAM on my HP all-in-one computer, I had a local Fry's Electronics tech suggest the correct 8GB modules for this computer.  After installing the modules the computer would function properly for 30 to 60 minutes and then crash.  The monitor would display portions of the images that were on the screen in rectangular blocks and none of the keyboard keys or the mouse would respond.  I had to turn off the power to recover.  The brand of modules sold to me by Fry's was PATROIT.  Is there a brand of module that HP knows will work with this computer?  It took three tries at Fry's to come up with the PATROIT modules that did not work.  A Best Buy tech tried to sell me desktop form factor modules, so I have no confidence in non-HP recommendations.  Can you help?

Burt Forsythe

HP Recommended

Hi @BurtF0,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. HP does not promote brands. But there are some certified HP parts that HP orders, tests and sells to customers.

So please contact HP phone support for further assistance by following these steps:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Also, you could contact HP parts store from this link for the required parts: http://partsurfer.hp.com Please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.The HP parts store is a very good option. The phone number is on the website for you to call them.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.