Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 24-f0040a All-in-One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I purchased a HP 24-f0040a All-in-One Desktop PC for my partner and it shipped with 8GIG DDR4-2133 SODIMM (PC4-17000) memory and I would like to upgrade it 16gig. I am kinda confused on reading the motherboard specs.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05980180

The photo of the motherboard in the above link and the actual link to the specs of the motherboard show it has 2xDDR4 SODIMM sockets:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05929092

However the info in the first link says: Memory sockets: 1 DDR4 SODIMM

So I am kinda confused on what the actual details are.

Also memory upgrade section says:

• Single channel memory architecture
  • DDR4 SODIMM (260-pin) socket
  • Supports the following:
    • PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)
  • Supports 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB DDR4 SODIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit systems
    NOTE: 
    Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

So can anyone please tell me exactly how I can upgrade to 16 gig? Does it have 2 slots so I can have 2x8 chips? The above info says it only supports 2/4/8gig chips but if only one socket, how can it support 16gig like it says?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, Ben:

It looks to me that the 1 dimm socket spec is incorrect.

If you look at the picture of the motherboard it shows that two memory chips can be installed.

One on top of the other, with the top one a tad more to the left than the bottom one.

I have zipped up and attached below, a free utility that may show the # of memory sockets.

On the memory info section on the left side of the program window, it will show how many 'rows' of memory there are.

Yours may show row 0 is populated and row 1 is not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.