Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting my new Crucial memory modules to run at the correct speed on my system.

Modules: Crucial 16GB 2RX8 UDIMM -1600.0 MHz (DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600) - MPN: BL16G32C16U4BL.M16
PC: HP OMEN by HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx

I was hoping to be able to run these modules at spec 1.6GHz/16-18-18-36, but instead it will only run at 1.333GHz/19-19-19-43.  I do have a Z370 motherboard which can support DDR4-3200 memory.  I do understand that my motherboard may not have been tested to that memory speed grade, but I'm expecting that I should be able to try it at my own risk by one method or other.  Things that I have tried so far...

1. Opened the UEFI interface using ESC key on boot -> BIOS setup (F10) -> looked for an XMP setting or similar but I can't find any.
2. Opened HP Gaming Center -> HP Omen 880 Desktop tab -> This panel only has two tabs: "System Vitals" and "Network Booster".  No XMP/overclocking/memory settings anywhere to be seen.
3. Downloaded Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility, but this software only seems to have CPU tweaks available for me even though it has stress tests for both CPU and memory.

Appreciate help/advice that anyone can offer.  Detailed system info via HWiNFO log at this pastebin link for the avid reader: https://pastebin.com/zm1SeFwV

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sberes755 , welcome to the forum.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi @Old_geekster,

The product number for the computer is 2TB61AV

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @sberes755!

HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  Therefore, they are not the same as a retail board.  They use them in many different models with different configurations.  Your motherboard is only compatible with DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-880-100-desktop-pc-series/18695893/model/18894927/do...

You will find this information in the section titled "Memory upgrade information".  It doesn't list the timings.  The memory listed in this section has been fully tested to be compatible.  Any other memory will most likely not work.

As you stated, HP hasn't added XMP's to the BIOS/UEFI for any other speeds.

If the Crucial memory was recommended by their Advisor Tool, you should contact their Tech Support to see what they have to say.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.