Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 610-1031f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've heard conflicting accounts about whether the memory cap on this is 8G or 16G, so I installed 4 x 4G PC3-10600 2Rx8 SODIMM cards, but the system won't boot with them in. It's fine if I put the old memory back, but just doesn't seem happy with the 4G cards even if I only replace one card. Does that make sense?

Thought updating the bios might make a difference, but the HP site doesn't have anything for Windows 10. I believe the computer came preloaded with Windows 8.

I like this computer. It is still functional for my use, but a little faster would be nice. First step was a memory upgrade. Thought I might swap the HD for an SSD also.

Are these doable?

THanks,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it has 4 memory slots and each slot can take a 4 GB memory chip.

HP TouchSmart 610-1031f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

You need to install a very specific type of memory when your HP PC has an Intel series 5 chipset and first gen core processor.

See this discussion...

Solved: Memory upgrade 6550b - HP Support Community - 5340551

They are pretty expensive on the Canadian website...$20 for shipping.

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8G...

Otherwise look for memory chips that meet the following criteria...

8 little black memory chips on both sides of the circuit board, not 4.

PC3-10600, not anything faster.   1.5V, not 1.35V

HP Recommended

I'm sure that's what I have, but will triple check.

Could it be that the original bios somehow can't accommodate more that 2G per slot? HP doesn't seem to have any updates for machines with Windows 10. Any idea how I can check to see if there is a newer bios?

Or is that just a dumb idea?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

According to the Intel specs, your PC's processor supports 16 GB of memory.

Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) Product Specifications

I doubt that updating the BIOS would make a difference.

The most recent BIOS update that HP has for your PC is listed under the W7 driver section for your PC.

It is version 6.09

HP TouchSmart 610-1030f Desktop PC Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

It does not address support for additional memory.

Also, since the BIOS update was written to be run on Windows 7, I don't know what would happen if you run it in W10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.