Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I haven't taken pc apart, but according to the guide you sent me and another video I pulled up;-it shows both time only replacing one memory card.  Is it possible that only one card can be replaced; that the second card is permanently installed?  Which would mean mixing a new DDR3L with the current (permanent) DDR3 which would mean only 6GB would be possible instead of the 8 gb max.   I also saw a previous post where the mixing caused issues.

On the crucial order site this reference was given on the replacement card: What does the 2 banks of 1 mean?

Your computer's memory capability:

Maximum memory:
8GB
Slots:
2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard memory:
4GB removable
Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM
  • CT51264BF160B
  • Configuration ID: CT2655918

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

HP Recommended

Hi:

A picture of your PC's motherboard shows two memory slots, although the specs are incorrect regarding the DDR2...should be DDR3.

HP TouchSmart 520-1020 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

2 banks of 1 mean that there are two memory slots each holding one memory chip.

4 GB removable means that both of the 2 GB memory chips are removable.

Under the motherboard specs link is this information...

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, IPISB-NK (LavacaSB) | HP® Customer Support

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 SO-DIMMs (200-pin) sockets
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit PCs
    *32-bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you!

Ok, I'm ordering 2 of the following.  I don't see anywhere a reference to the 200 pins you mentioned...., but maybe that's a given.

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM

• CT51264BF160B
  • Configuration ID: CT2655918

DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V •

Hoping for the best.  Couldn't have gotten this far without your kind and exemplary assistance!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't even know why there is a # of pins description in the HP document (and I think HP is wrong anyway--should be 204).

It's not important.   

All you need to know is the memory is a DDR3/L SODIMM - Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (notebook type) memory, and it should fit and work just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.