Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP S01 slim desktop pF 1056
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a HP Pavilion with 1 TB of Memory of which I am using 237 GB I am looking to purchase a new desktop with only 256 GB of memory.  Will the PC operate normally or be slow after I transfer my information to the new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SpockHere --  I am using 237 GB I am looking to purchase a new desktop with only 256 GB of memory. 

That is not enough disk-space. If you run Windows Update for a few months, the remaining 19 GB of free-space will become full (files "replaced" by an update are not deleted -- they are just "set aside"). 

If you install some programs, they will consume some of that 19 GB.

Also, if your current current is running Windows 8 or Windows 10, and your new computer is running Windows 11, then Windows 11 will be consume more disk-space by itself than Windows 10 is consuming.

How much of that 237 GB is in the "downloads" folder on your current computer? Can you delete those downloads? 

You really need to _start_ with 512 GB of disk-space, to give room for "growth" in your Personal Files (storing more pictures & documents & music).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SpockHere --  I am using 237 GB I am looking to purchase a new desktop with only 256 GB of memory. 

That is not enough disk-space. If you run Windows Update for a few months, the remaining 19 GB of free-space will become full (files "replaced" by an update are not deleted -- they are just "set aside"). 

If you install some programs, they will consume some of that 19 GB.

Also, if your current current is running Windows 8 or Windows 10, and your new computer is running Windows 11, then Windows 11 will be consume more disk-space by itself than Windows 10 is consuming.

How much of that 237 GB is in the "downloads" folder on your current computer? Can you delete those downloads? 

You really need to _start_ with 512 GB of disk-space, to give room for "growth" in your Personal Files (storing more pictures & documents & music).

HP Recommended

hi

if I can @old_geekster 
@SpockHere 
What do you want to do with your old computer, its hard drive ..?
You could, maybe just install your old HDD hard drive in this brand new hp
the ideal would be to erase windows, and just keep your personal data
@old_geekster  could you explain how to do it maybe?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@SpockHere -- I am looking to purchase a new desktop with only 256 GB of memory

Be careful when you are choosing your next desktop computer.

The cases for desktop computers come in two physical sizes "slim" and "full-size".

Typically, there is only enough space inside the "slim" case for one 3.5-inch disk-drive & one CD/DVD device, plus the motherboard & heat-sinks & power-supply.  But, some of the new motherboards come with a M.2 socket on the motherboard, for a 256 GB or a 512 GB or a 1024 GB M.2 memory-stick.  That M.2 memory-stick takes almost _NO_ physical space, and it requires no "power" nor "data" cables.

When you populate the M.2 socket, there probably is one vacant "drive-bay" where an older 3.5-inch disk-drive can be mounted.  In your case, you could extract the disk-drive from your current computer, and mount it into that drive-way. This gives you the "C:" drive-letter for Windows and your apps, and the "D:" drive-letter for your personal files, and the "E:" drive-letter for the CD/DVD device.

On the other hand, a "full-size" computer case typically has 2 drive-bays for CD/DVD devices, and at least 2 drive-bays for 3.5-inch disk-drives (or a 2.5-inch SSD mounted in a 3.5-inch-wide metal bracket).

My concern is the "age" of your current 1 TB disk-drive. Is it "middle-aged" or "nearly-retired" ?

Disk-drives do not last "forever". The manufacturer typically gives you a 1-year or 2-year warranty.

So, it may be best to be "proactive" -- start with a new 512 GB M.2 memory-stick, rather than continuing to use an older disk-drive.

Adding a second disk-drive into a desktop case is relatively easily -- a few screws to hold the disk-drive securely in the drive-bay, and running a power-cable to the disk-drive, and a SATA cable to connect the motherboard to the disk-drive, presuming that your new motherboard has an available SATA socket.

There probably are hundreds of Youtube videos on "how to connect a second disk-drive into a desktop computer".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.