Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Keyboard 300
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the HP Pavilion 300 keyboard. Until now I have not found option to change the FN lock. There is only multimedia keys instead of function keys. The keyboard is pretty nice and compact, but it is not usable whatsoever. I have to hold FN key all time, because I need to use functional keys pretty often. I have found many topics regarding this issue on this forum, but without any solution. Any idea how to remedy this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Filluta,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I would like to inform you that there is no option to lock the FN keys on the keyboard and it is by design. However, you can lock it in BIOS if your computer has that option.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fossete,

thank you for quick information and confirmation. It is not possible for me to solve it in the BIOS setting.

I solved it at the end mechanicaly. I stuck the FN key permanetly in the pressed position. Just mechanical solution by myself. Is there any problem or negative consequence to have the FN key still pressed?

I did not want to return this keyboard to the shop, because it is really nice and compact keyboard and I like its design and I have not found anything similar (compact but with numpad at the same time and "standart" placement of keys).

I just do not understound why somebody made decision to make keyboard with no option to have functional keys (F1-F12 ) as a default or at least to have any reasonable and functional solution to change this mode. There is massive amount of complaints and topics regarding to this issue on your forum. I would fired persons responsible for this stupid decision.

This is so stupid decision like making amazing new car with just one small problem. Transmission with 5 speeds backwards and only one forward. Just unthinkable...

HP Recommended

@Filluta,

If you keep the FN key pressed always it may affect the other key combination functions and it is not recommended.

The keyboard you have a is a multimedia keyboard and helps the user to use the multimedia keys. There are other keyboards which support the function you are looking for.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

is there already a solution for this issue? I have exactly the same issue. Ans I definitely do not want to use the fn key all the sime. It is one of the most annoying design decicsions I have ever seen. There must be some driver software by now to fix this issue

HP Recommended

Hi Screen,

I affraid there is no reasonoble solution and HP absolutly do not cares. At least I had no problem to return my keyboard even after 2 months. Shop considered whole keyboard faulty by design and returned my all money without any hesitation.

Software solution:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Reverting-to-function-keys-on-ke...

- you need to use the Autohotkey software

- it is not possible to implement this solution for F6 a F7 keys

Mechanical solution:

- stuck/adhere FN key in pressed positin

- I have not found any problem with one exception (I do not need to have multimedia keys, so I have no problem to stuck FN key in pressed position forever). When FN key is pressed, then right shift is Pause key instead. At the end that irritated me so much so I gave it up and returned keyboard to the shop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.