Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion P7-1254
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently found that my exteran USB modem has stopped working while trying to send a FAX. It also will not work with the PhoneTray telemarketer blocking system. I then purchased a new Hiro external USB modem that is supposed to work with Windows 10, but it also does not work on my computer, but works fine on my wife's newer HP 400-314 computer. I have tried swapping ports to no avail. Seems the modem is able to read caller ID information, but does not respond to AT commands for on/off hook or dialing anymore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally corrected the issue(s)-

The main issue was that the phone jack I was using for the modem and my desk phone had the Tip and Ring connections reversed which didn't cause any issues with the phone, but apparently modems are sensitive to this. It appears this happened when a plumber who was installing a new water line cut my phone line and re-spliced it behind the washing machine without my knowledge, which was around the time that Windows did their creators update. This was the cause of the modem(s) being unable to respond to AT commands, but had no effect of the display of CID info.

Also, with many new modems, certain modem-dependent programs will not work correctly unless you enable the Caller ID in the modems settings in Windows. In the Advanced tab of the modem's options you should be able to add some initialization commands. The one to enable Caller ID is: AT+VCID=1. After doing this, both newer modems worked like a charm on all programs.

Learn something new every day!

Bill

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@Altair8800
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Are you getting any error message or code while trying to connect to a new a Modem?
  • Is there any explanation or rex x mark on network icon next o clock icon?
  • Does your computer able to see New wireless modem?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Are you getting any error message or code while trying to connect to a new a Modem?

Seeing no error messages whatsoever.

Is there any explanation or rex x mark on network icon next o clock icon?

Seeing nothing there.

Does your computer able to see New wireless modem?

The type of modem I am having issues with is a Hiro H50113 USB modem.

The computer recognizes the modem in multple programs (FAX, PhoneTray, VZ56K) and shows up fine in Device Manager but the modem is not responding to AT commands from the programs to go off-hook, on-hook, and dial, although several programs recognize caller ID information that is being sent by the modem.  I recently purchased a new Hiro H50228 USM modem that claims to be Windows 10 compatible, but it also is not working, but works fine on my wife's computer. I performed a modem query in device manager with the following results:

05-19-2019 09:39:48.787 - Passthrough On
05-19-2019 09:39:51.357 - Passthrough Off
05-19-2019 09:39:51.357 - 115200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
05-19-2019 09:39:51.357 - Initializing modem.
05-19-2019 09:39:51.373 - Send: AT<cr>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.379 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.379 - Interpreted response: OK
05-19-2019 09:39:51.395 - Send: AT &F E0 &C1 &D2 V1 S0=0\V1<cr>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.395 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.395 - Interpreted response: OK
05-19-2019 09:39:51.410 - Send: ATS7=60S30=0L0M1\N3%C1&K3N1\J1X4<cr>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.426 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.426 - Interpreted response: OK
05-19-2019 09:39:51.426 - Waiting for a call.
05-19-2019 09:39:51.442 - Send: at+vcid=1<cr>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.442 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.442 - Interpreted response: OK
05-19-2019 09:39:51.457 - Send: ATS0=0<cr>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.457 - Recv: <cr><lf>OK<cr><lf>
05-19-2019 09:39:51.457 - Interpreted response: OK

HP Recommended

@Altair8800
Thank you for the information. 

• Have you tried connecting to a wireless network modem or Mobile Hotspot? (not USB modem)
  • When you plug the Modem does your computer recognize the device?
  • Have you tried with all the USB ports?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Firstly, let's perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

Next stepBIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Next step, Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Have you tried connecting to a wireless network modem or Mobile Hotspot? (not USB modem)

My computer connects fine to my wireless network.

When you plug the Modem does your computer recognize the device?

Yes, the modem is recognized by the computer and shows up in Device Manager as fully functional.

Have you tried with all the USB ports?

Yes, I have tested both USB modems on all USB ports

The link you suppled for a hard reset seems to only apply to laptop computers. Mine is a p7-1254

desktop. Is there a hard reset procedure that applies to this unit?

I will wait for your reply before I attempt the BIOS default

HP Recommended

@Altair8800
Thank you for the information. 

Disconnect all attached devices, such as printers, scanners, USB flash drive etc. Next, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. 

Reconnect the keyboard and mouse then perform BIOS default.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I performed the BIOS reset after I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling all of the USB ports from the Device Manager.

Still seeing the same issue after the above procedures and retrying both modems on multiple USB ports.

HP Recommended

@Altair8800
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ks-

My warranty expired in 2014, so i'm long past being able to obtain phone support.

Thanks again for your assistance.

HP Recommended

@Altair8800
Thank you for posting back. 

This sounds like a compatibility issue with the computer. maybe you can try with a different brand or Backward compatible device.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.