Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen #870-119
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know if that is possible with the motherboard change on my Omen #870-119 desktop case. I am not sure if that will fit or not. I was looking at different vendor with B450 gaming motherboard also the memory rams and CPU processor. Will that work or not.

Thank you,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jpmackay1 

You can install a µATX motherboard in the case. The original 500W PSU is viable. The B450 Gaming motherboard at the following link will work.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-Gaming-AMD-Motherboard/dp/B07Q5VJXK8

Using the original HP Omen  case will save you some funds.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I'm not specifically knowledgeable about your specific computer, but a lot of work might need to be done and I would think you would be upgrading the ram and CPU as well.  Power supply could become an issue with the higher performance hardware.  I'd say sell your PC and put the money toward the computer system you want.  It can become a money pit, but it's doable if you want to spend the time and money.  I looked up the system and you should have the room in the case for it.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
EJ
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and will think about this.

John

HP Recommended

@jpmackay1 

You can install a µATX motherboard in the case. The original 500W PSU is viable. The B450 Gaming motherboard at the following link will work.

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-B450-Gaming-AMD-Motherboard/dp/B07Q5VJXK8

Using the original HP Omen  case will save you some funds.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you to you, Erico for your message. That is my plan to keep the HP Omen case and already upgraded to 500 watts power supply on my desktop. All I need to do is to get the motherboard also processor.

Thank you again.

John

HP Recommended

@jpmackay1 wrote:

Thank you to you, Erico for your message. That is my plan to keep the HP Omen case and already upgraded to 500 watts power supply on my desktop. All I need to do is to get the motherboard also processor.

Thank you again.

John

So if I understand you correctly, that would make my post the solution as it actually answered your question instead of the one that is marked as the solution. Is that accurate?

HP Recommended

Don't forget you may have to upgrade you RAM to DDR4 as well.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
EJ
HP Recommended

@ejett wrote:

Don't forget you may have to upgrade you RAM to DDR4 as well.

@ejett 

If you look at the 870-119 motherboard specs you will see that it used DDR4.  If the new motherboard uses the same processor it will also use the same generation of memory modules.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the Reply, Erico.  Because of it, I was able to find the answer to 3 questions regarding my MB.  Apparently some techs can't read the specs or know how to access them.   Unless, of course, they are too lazy.

Regards ,

EJ
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the info 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.