Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN Desktop PC - 870-129
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All,

I just installed an SK Hynix NVMe M.2 1Tb SSD in my Omen Desktop 870-129. I cloned the original 500Mb SATA SSD, and set the new (larger) SSD as the boot disk. The machine will boot up and run fine. I can Shut Down the computer and then turn it back on with no problem.

However, if I choose to RESTART the computer Windows will shut down, the screen goes blank,  and it hangs but never re-loads Windows. I do not get any sort of error .. it just sits there with a black screen.

I can either hit Ctl-Alt-Del or power off and on again and it will start without issue.

I do have the latest Windows updates and the latest BIOS firmware installed. I have not made any other upgrades to the 870-129, so configuration is standard.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hocker

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

That's weird.

Disconnect the SATA SSD. Try this test again only using the M.2 disk.

Did you remove all system partitions from the SATA SSD? Check Disk Management to verify.

Regards

HP Recommended

Grzwacz,

I have not removed anything from the SATA SSD, as I thought I would wait a month or so to ensure everything is running well (just in case).

I have now gone in and disconnected the cables from the SATA SSD, but the issue is unchanged.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults when the SATA SSD is disconnected.

Your PC should detect only the M.2 SSD as the default boot disk in this scenario.

Regards

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that did not fix the issue.

I just did it and the issue remains.

Thanks for trying!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I don't know why this is happening. I have done what you have done many times and have never seen this problem.

Maybe someone else has other suggestions.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.