Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-420qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install a second SATA HDD to this computer. When I open the comuter there is a cable that appears to be part of the HDD data cable from SATA 0 to ground on the chassis.

Questions:

1. What does this ground cable ground, SATA plugs, the whole mother board, etc.?
  2. Is this a special SATA cable that I need to install the second drive?
  3. Will using a regular, standard SATA cable work without issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The data cable does appear to have a shielding. The ground cable in question exits the "shielding" at the "shielding's end and appears to extend a couple of inches only into the shielding. The tail then screws to the the box's frame.

I cannot find anywhere else where the grounding ground exits the cable. However, the cable does appear to have a blue bottom where it connects to the motherboard. I can't tell if the blue piece is part of the cable or an attachment to the cable. Neither of the other 2 SATA connection have this blue end. The DVD drive plugs in directly to a motherboard SATA connection without the blue end, but the DVD is very close to the connection.

Thanks for the information. The data cable being shielded hadn't occcurred to me.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@erico, @banhien

I do not know what it's about.  Any idea?

Service and Upgrade manual clearly shows it on Pg 15

ground on Sata power lead.JPG

This appears to be on the power lead, as you said. 

Tracing the leads from the power supply,  inspect all the Sata power connectors.

The DVD power lead on Pg 13 does not have this separate lead.

You say it traces back to where exactly?  Motherboard screw head, or a cabinet screw head?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001

I stopped to build machines myself from the first month of this century and no more desktop in our house therefore I can't answer the question. But from my research, that is something called HDD grounding cable. For many business class machines, we use this type of cable but for consumer machines we normally don't do that.

The SATA cable itself must have a ground cable already; from the image on page 15, looks like HDD is inserted directly to its bay therefore we may need to connect ground cable.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The PC uses a normal motherboard. It just appears to be an extra ground.

1. What does this ground cable ground, SATA plugs, the whole mother board, etc.? It is probably connected to the shielding of the SATA data cable. Its purpose is likely to be for reduction of spurious current that occur during data transmission between the drive and the SATA port it is connected to.
  2. Is this a special SATA cable that I need to install the second drive? You do not even need to use it.
  3. Will using a regular, standard SATA cable work without issue? Yes. A  standard SATA600 cable is what will  be needed.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The data cable does appear to have a shielding. The ground cable in question exits the "shielding" at the "shielding's end and appears to extend a couple of inches only into the shielding. The tail then screws to the the box's frame.

I cannot find anywhere else where the grounding ground exits the cable. However, the cable does appear to have a blue bottom where it connects to the motherboard. I can't tell if the blue piece is part of the cable or an attachment to the cable. Neither of the other 2 SATA connection have this blue end. The DVD drive plugs in directly to a motherboard SATA connection without the blue end, but the DVD is very close to the connection.

Thanks for the information. The data cable being shielded hadn't occcurred to me.

HP Recommended

Thank you Eric and BH.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@5JPK wrote:

It is shielding. Shielding is common in radiocommunications and data processing hardware wiring, even the cable used for your cable modem at home has it. The shield is not visible. It is covered by the plastic sheath and extends the full length of the cable.

Why did you mark your post as the accepted solution?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.