Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Samsung SSD is an M2 type with the slot for a screw to hold it down, I was told it was or is an M2 X 3mm screw.  Is that correct & where would I get one with out having to buy 50 from Amazon.  I can get one from a local Computer store but I have to buy the post  that comes with the screw as they are a "set' at $7.00 for just a little screw.  Samsung told me the screw size (above) today, now why do they sell a HDD for $125 without including a screw.  Any ideas I could go to get one.  I did try Bes Bbuy tonight but no help so I may try a bigger Best Buy tomorrow.  . 

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC
HP 27XW Monitor
HP Pavilion dv6t 3000 Select Edition Entertainment PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rgh43-,

Then my suggestion " almost any non-BigBox store (aka local shop or flea market) will have the screw for considerably less" was a SOLUTION !!!   Because free is less.  Right ????  :ThumbUp::OpenSmile:

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rgh43-,

The stand-off is there, right ?   If you are sure of the size, read here

An m2 x 3mm flat head can be bought for less than 40 cents.It's the shipping that will snag you !!

Just google m2 3mm laptop hard drive screw. BTW,  almost any non-BigBox store (aka local shop or flea market) will have the screw for considerably less.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks, that is the route I'm on now.  I can get the screw at a couple of different PC repair shops for about $7 bucks,  it is a kit with the post so you have to pay for both.  I don't need the post as I HP installed one.  I do have one repair  shop local that has some loose pc screws from their repairs & will give it to me for free so I going to go there and try to see if I can find one.  I can get a sack of 25 or more fro anywhere from $5.50 to 8.00.  Maybe I should do that and sell them for a buck each on E Bay.  Samsung told me to call the MB manufacture, might for the hell of it try that also. My wife said why don’t you buy the $7.00 one as you have spent more than that in time & gas trying to get one, she's right but it is the principal.  I did ask Samsung why they sell this w/o a screw and got some nonsensical answer.  Being somewhat resourceful I was looking all over the pc to see if I had one M2 screw in another spot and on the back of the PC and I noticed the video card's HDMI & ESATA plugs had a very small screws holding each plug in so I removed the SATA one and screwed it into the SSD's post and it fit so I used that to hold the SSD down, now I need one to replace the one I stole from the video card's ESATA plug

HP 27XW Monitor
HP Recommended

Just a follow up on the M.2 screw, I talked to several local businesses and called a repair shop that I have had asked questions of and work done in the past and they have always served me well.  I called them and the young lady working there told me to come in as they have a big box of leftover screws. They did have hundreds in that box.  Believe it or not she picked out a screw after less than a minute of looking, I tried it & it fit perfectly.  Excellent,  I asked her about the charge & she replied, no Charge. Can't beat that

HP 27XW Monitor
HP Recommended

@rgh43-,

Then my suggestion " almost any non-BigBox store (aka local shop or flea market) will have the screw for considerably less" was a SOLUTION !!!   Because free is less.  Right ????  :ThumbUp::OpenSmile:

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.