Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G1 TWR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to be able to update and change the bios settings, as it clearly isn't configured correctly (probably XMP turned off), as the machine has 16Gb of RAM, and even after a clean install, Win 10 is having caching issues and periodically freezing for about 30 seconds.

We cannot access or update the BIOS as no-one knows the password.

I have been provided with an SMC.bin file by HP to perform a BIOS password reset. I have responded, stating that the instructions they provided don't do what it states:

Copy the SMC.bin to a FAT32-formatted USB stick, then:

"- Press "Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key" all keys at same time and turn on the system
- Release all keys and press F10 at HP logo to go to F10 setup to “Reset BIOS security to factory default”

No 'SMC command failure reasons' or 'Wrong UUID is provided' error - it just boots into WIndows 10.

They also provided a link with instructions of how to set up an HP_TOOLS partition, but the link didn't work.

HP responded to my reply requesting assistance with the boot process and a working link, advising me to replace the motherboard. Is the command Windows Key + Arrow UP Key + Arrow Down Key applicable to ALL HP machines? It was a two-person job with a desktop with a wired keyboard, as opposed to a laptop. I have tried booting from the USB stick, with the HDDs disconnected, but the drive isn't bootable.

The SMC.bin file they have sent is only active for 7 days.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative method of triggering the SMC command, or another means of using the provided SMC file to permit me to make changes to the BIOS settings? I have checked, and can confirm that the BIOS date and time is correct.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had nearly the same issue with an Elitebook 830 G5 (2018 config), the notebook was "bricked", Admin Bios password was lost, secure boot was activated 😞

1st, HP support asked me for the notebook invoice, they additionaly asked the laptop UUID number, and they sent me a SMC.bin file.

My first try was unsuccefull : pressing Windows key + Arrows up and down was alway a total failure (admin password requested again)

Then I noticed the instruction message I received from HP looks like wrong : as stated in your message, when the HP logo is displayed on the screen, you have to press the F10 key (on my laptop, pressing once F10 bring a new message at the bottom of the screen : "entering setup menu..."

Then the screen turned black, the HP logo was displayed again, and.....Hourra  : SMC COMMAND STATUS message was displayed on the screen, then you have to press "enter" to access the bios page.

I noticed HP support send me the SMC file with an odd name : "SMC_2019-02-12....." and they told me to copy this exact file to the USB drive. They were wrong, the only file nam that was successfull in may case was SMC.bin (I made several tests).

I did not have to create a HP_TOOLS partition, as it was requested in the instructions.

Anyway, the FTP link to add the HP_TOOLS partition was uncorrect or the file no longer exist.

My USB key was a 2 Go, as requested, and I used the Win 10 "Disk Management" to get it formated FAT 32.

Last point : in the bios, you can't change the admin password,  you have to go to Security settings and find the "Restore security settings to factory defaults" option.

I hope you'll find something interesting in my reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.