Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
H9 1100z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to upgrade the video card in my son's machine. It's got an Angelica board with the latest (4/2012) BIOS update. The new card is an Asus Dual 1060. 

It hangs on the post screen. It does post but it will not go any further. It won't let me go to the setup menu, the BOIS menu.. nothing. Every thread I can find on this says update the BIOS. But we're already using the latest update. 

Any suggestions? I'm out of ideas. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@photo_chick, welcome to the forum.

The problem that you are experiencing is caused by the fact that the GTX 1060 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI in their motherboards until mid-October 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.

The last video cards not to require UEFI are the GTX 660/670 series.  MSI does make a card with a switch that allows the card to boot with UEFI or Legacy BIOS.  I suggest contacting the manufacturer's Tech Support to help you choose the best card for your system.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@photo_chick, welcome to the forum.

The problem that you are experiencing is caused by the fact that the GTX 1060 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard Legacy BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI in their motherboards until mid-October 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.

The last video cards not to require UEFI are the GTX 660/670 series.  MSI does make a card with a switch that allows the card to boot with UEFI or Legacy BIOS.  I suggest contacting the manufacturer's Tech Support to help you choose the best card for your system.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for hte help. Now to shop for another card.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @photo_chick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.