Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: H8-1070UK Pavillion HPE
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I've bought a PCIe to M.2 adapter and a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD. I've put them together and inserted them into a free PCIe x 1 slot in my H8-1070uk desktop. The motherboard is HP IPISB-CH2 (Chicago) made by Pegatron.

The new SSD is a clone of my current C drive which is a 250GB SSD. I now want to make the new larger PCIe mounted NVMe M.2 SSD the boot drive.

I can see the new drive in windows explorer, however the new SSD is not showing up in the BIOS boot order so I cant give it boot priority over the current c drive.

Can anyone advise if I have missed something or is it actually maybe not possible to have a PCIe mounted SSD boot drive ?.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@davis_hunter,

Any NMVe would be better served in a PCIex4 slot, not a PCIex1 slot.  x1 is 4 times SLOWER.

If it were to boot, that would only happen when you removed the previous 250GB 2.5 SSD.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi

I understand the speed restriction and accept it. This SSD will eventually go into any new desktop I buy which will have newer guts to make it quicker. My H8-1070uk was bought in 2010 and only has PCIe x 1 slots free or a PCIe minicard slot. 

I intend to have 2 SSD's in the system. I'm going to use the current 250GB SSD as fast storage. Are you saying I cant have both in the system at the same time ?, The 250GB is SATA whereas the 500GB is PCIe. Do I have to disconnect the 250GB to let the machine somehow discover the new boot drive (500gb) and then put the 250GB SSD back in afterwards ?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@davis_hunter,

If you disconnect the 250GB SATA drive, the NMVe would have a chance to boot. Right now, it is linked to SATA O port as the boot. If it does boot, and you want the 250GB SATA drive as data, you will need to use an external USB to SATA adapter to format that drive after the boot up. Right now there is conflict.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply

I removed the 250GB SSD (took the power and data cables off it) and unfortunately when rebooting it did not discover the PCIe 500GB SSD with OS on it. I got a not discovered or boot drive failed message.

I removed the PCIe drive, took the NVMe 970 Pro out of the PCIe adapter and put it into an M.2/SATA  adapter and supplied the boot drive power and data cables to it. Again I got not discovered or boot drive failed error. I'm going to re-check I have put the M.2/SATA toghether properly and try again but it is seeming more likely I should ditch this idea, return the parts and just get a bigger (1TB) Sata SSD for a straight clone and swap out with the current 250GB SSD

Underneath all of this i'm getting a strong feeling the Motherboard doesn't support what I am trying to do here.

Again thanks very much for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.