Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion HPE-467c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased some 4gb memory for my HP Pavilion.  Currently running 4 sticks of 2gb RAM (10600) and I purchased 4 sticks of 4gb 10600 ram.  I install 4 sticks, computer won't boot, if I install 2 sticks it works fine.  I have tried all numbers of combinations but still won't work.  Am I using the wrong RAM?  My product info says on a 64 bit system I should have a maximum of 16gb of RAM available.  Thoughts? 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@LaNdoColt45

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Is this ram from HP shopping or HP store?
  • Have tried checking this RAM on another computer?
  • Are you getting any error message while using New Ram?
  • Have you tried updating the system software driver?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, 

• Is this ram from HP shopping or HP store?

- No, I purchased from Memory Express in Calgary. 

• Have tried checking this RAM on another computer?

- No I have not.  I was able to get the computer to load windows if only using 1 stick of RAM, and doesn't matter which stick I use, it always works as long as only 1 stick is in.  If I try 2 sticks, the bios loads but shuts down before windows starts to load. 

• Are you getting any error message while using New Ram?

- No, no error messages.  If I load 2 sticks it just shuts down after BIOS screen.  If I load more than 2 sticks it just has blank screen and doesn't even show bios. 

• Have you tried updating the system software driver?

- Yes, all drivers are up to date. 

Thank you!

I think I'm going to return the RAM tomorrow and ask Memory Express what they think could be the issue.  I have been told to purchase RAM in 4 sticks at a time in a pack because some RAM doesn't work together.  If you have a link to RAM that you think would be a better choice, I'm open to that as well. 

Thank you!

Mike

HP Recommended

@LaNdoColt45
Thank you for posting back. 

Check the below Memory upgrade information for HP Pavilion Elite HPE-467c Desktop PC Product Specifications,

And, also you can locate the correct part from Our HP part surfer: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't understand ... it is a 64 bit system, so I should be able to get to 16gb of RAM.  The memory I purchased is 4gb DDR3 RAM 10600, so based on the specs I should be able to use 4 x 4gb RAM in those slots right? 

There are 4 slots available.  2 black, 2 blue.  

Am I missing something? 

HP Recommended

@LaNdoColt45
Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, Yes! your correct those back and blue slots are for 4x4 ram.
And, also you can use 4x4GB ram which is 16GB ram on this computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo, 

Thanks for your help.  I'm wondering why the sticks I purchased are not working.  I'd like to buy more 4gb RAM but want to be sure it will be compatible... I can't figure out why these aren't working!

The sticks I purchased are: 

Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9/4G

Should I just try different RAM? 

Mike

HP Recommended

@LaNdoColt45
I would suggest trying with different RAM will give a clear picture. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Lando, agree with echolake ( hp agent) answer.. check all ram is same speed, ddr type, etc...assume its same manufacturer . hoping not to insult you. with a few ideas..try: 

check correctly bedded ram, visibly check and use a eraser to gently rub clean connection bar strip if needed. assume your motherboard ( Intel chipset i 3-7) specs capable of working with the 8G ram and the ram speedset. 

? getting any warning beep indicating ram problem on start up. try a progressive hardware component check - remove all pwr/sata cables to HD, CD and take out ram. start up PC - should get i'm not happy beep!

progressively add ea component and check, becomes a process of elimination?.  possible but uncommon- a faulty ram chipset or MBoard component or hardware connector. Use magnifier to look at all M/Board components /chips/cabling/connectors  for visible defect since board components can fail and tracks can get corroded.  try renewing your CMOS battery as well.  ? a fault in boot sequence/ corrupted  boot manger files . can you run win in safe mode with cmd (as admin)  or the more powerful powershell commandlets .... chkdsk/f to check? 

assume you've checked your OS and HDD good.. I have occasionally seen component  defects  EG: blown capacitor, burnt resistor, etc..

all the best

MG.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.