Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 700-414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I stupidly responded to an ad that checked my drivers, and it found 14 outdated drivers. However, the H-P Support assistant doesn't tell me that I need to install any. Could it be because I didn't check the box that allows HP to know all the software/hardware I have on this machine? 

I even called the online help and chatted with someone, and she told me not to install ANY drivers that the HP Support assistant didn't tell me to. I have found several new drivers that I was told were needed on the download page for the Envy 700-414, but I'm not sure whether I should or not. Can someone help me??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The support page for that model shows all the supported drivers for Windows 10.  Feel free to check those against the ones installed.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-700-400-Desktop-PC-series/7161708/model/7269...

Being that I am old school, I tend to disregard any prodding by those sites to update drivers just because of the possible conflicts with OEM equipment.  It is my opinion that if it is working, then leave it alone.  I see no point to invite problems by updating a system that is working to my expectations.

I might add, some updates are security updates and might need to be installed, check the notes that accompany the update for that reason.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The support page for that model shows all the supported drivers for Windows 10.  Feel free to check those against the ones installed.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-700-400-Desktop-PC-series/7161708/model/7269...

Being that I am old school, I tend to disregard any prodding by those sites to update drivers just because of the possible conflicts with OEM equipment.  It is my opinion that if it is working, then leave it alone.  I see no point to invite problems by updating a system that is working to my expectations.

I might add, some updates are security updates and might need to be installed, check the notes that accompany the update for that reason.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I even chatted with someone on the HP site (Tech support, I believe...) and she told me not to install any drivers that I wasn't told to by the HP Support assistant. So, I guess that all those upgrades on the HP website are not needed for this computer. Some are designated for laptops, so I assume that I should not install those in my desktop. And, like you said in your e-mail, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... but that's the reason I came here... to find out WHY the HP Support assistant hasn't told me to install any of them, but they're available on another website run by HP! That's all. I downloaded all of them, but I haven't used any of them yet. Like you said, why take any chances when it's running OK already. Most of them are kind of cryptic in their names too, and I'm not exactly sure if I should install anything I really don't undrestand either. So, I;ll take your advice and not install any of them, but I do have them in my downloads directory should I be told I need it in the future.

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly... I tried and finally succeeded in installing a bigger power supply, a PCI card to get me an extra SATA hookup to install a third hera drive, 2-2G internal hard drives, and a video card with 2G of video memory on it, and everything finally worked after I read all the messages on this board. However, I finally had to take all that out because Windows 10 would not upgrade from Windows 8.1. After I finally got Windows 10 installed and running, I just left all those additional pieces out, because everything was finally running well. I guess I really didn't need to mess with it! I'm using external hard drives and don't need a bigger power supply because there are now 2 less hard drives and no extra video card. I simply love this machine, and especially HP's customer service. I even bought their 2 year extension of my warranty! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.