Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6-2010
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,

i have a HP pavilion p6-2010 desktop and i want a new videocard so i can play some of the 'newer' games. For example,  gtx 1060. Does it work on my pc? I heard that motherboard doesn't work with another cards. Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @E_One.

This is why I have stopped recommending video cards for older computers. Instead, I have the members contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  The video card manufacturers have gotten too far ahead of the OEM computer manufacturers, such as, HP.  The PCI Express 3.0 x16 is backward compatible, but if the card also requires UEFI it still won't work.  The GTX 650 doesn't require UEFI in the motherboard.  The last series not to require UEFI are the GTX 670's.  After these cards you begin getting into --- will it work or won't it --- scenarios.  I don't want to give bad information and cost somebody money when it is unnecessary.  Sellers will pay for shipping to you, but you pay to return a component that doesn't work  I know because I have paid to return them.

I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you more. :Wink:  If you need more help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@E_One, welcome to the forum.

The model is missing some letters, such as, uk, kr, ix, etc.  I need them to review the specs of the computer.

HP Recommended

My model is p6-2010ru.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @E_One.

No, the GTX 1680 is not compatible with your motherboard and UEFI instead of a standard BIOS.  It requires a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot and your motherboard has a PCI 2.0 x16 slot.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I tried to run desktop with gtx650 and it works. Why? Gtx650 has PCI 3.0 x16 too.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @E_One.

This is why I have stopped recommending video cards for older computers. Instead, I have the members contact the manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  The video card manufacturers have gotten too far ahead of the OEM computer manufacturers, such as, HP.  The PCI Express 3.0 x16 is backward compatible, but if the card also requires UEFI it still won't work.  The GTX 650 doesn't require UEFI in the motherboard.  The last series not to require UEFI are the GTX 670's.  After these cards you begin getting into --- will it work or won't it --- scenarios.  I don't want to give bad information and cost somebody money when it is unnecessary.  Sellers will pay for shipping to you, but you pay to return a component that doesn't work  I know because I have paid to return them.

I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you more. :Wink:  If you need more help, please don't hesitate to ask.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.