Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@suziesue1 I agree this does seem like an issue with the driver and here's what you need to do:

To diagnose the issue, I suggest you follow the below steps and check if it works:

Method 1: Run the Troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. 
I suggest you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your USB device. Refer to these steps:
1. Right click on Start button, select Control Panel.
2. Change the view by the option on the top right to Large icons.
3. Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
4. Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall the USB controllers

As all the hardware devices have drivers associated, similarly USB devices also have it. Sometimes proper drivers are not detected after the initial installation so reinstallation of the drivers helps resolve the issues.

You may check after uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers if you are able to connect. You may disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Right click on Start and select Device Manager.

2. Double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and

click "OK".

(Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed)
3. Restart the system and Windows 10 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue still persists, I would request you to check for chipset driver updates that you can get at the HP website: Click here
The chipset drivers normally incorporate USB controller drivers as well.

Keep us posted. Although, I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

When the dvd/cd  came up on my pc I could then run the troubleshooter this is probably why it worked once. When i go into the troubleshooter it comes up with loads of stuff that needs doing. Do i work my way through all these first.

HP Recommended

Also when I now go into the device manager there are 2 drivers. one is C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys. The other is C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM,sys. Should there only be one for this hardware?

HP Recommended

@suziesue1 I suggest you remove both entries and restart the PC as it should install the one that the pc requires automatically, as a result resolving the issue, keep me posted.

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

how do i remove them. there is no action on the drivers. would it be easier just to unimstall and re-boot pc.

HP Recommended

@suziesue1 yes, that's what I meant by remove, uninstall them and restart the PC 😉

I appreciate your patience, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

this has not solved it. the 2 drives are still there after uninstaling and re-booting. the drive appears and in the properties it states it's working properly but then disappears. Could this be a local network or pnp issue? This is so obviously something microsoft have done. There are hundreds of users the same as myself and no resolve for it.

HP Recommended

@suziesue1 this could be an issue with the user profile, I suggest you create a new administrator account and check if that works fine if it doesn't,

you may need to create a backup of your data and perform a system reset: Click here for details.

I also suggest running an extensive system test using this link for instructions, to ensure there are no hardware issues.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Back again. Nothing is resolving the issue. I don't want a hard reset as I can't save any files now to any thing. I already have an extra user account and again really don't want to make another. There must be a solution to this. Microsoft have done this with their update. Is there a patch for this? Oh and it wont work my wireless head phones any more too. cannot find them even though it shows on the pc.

The drive keeps showing when I restart the pc but disappears when I use it. Have some of the ports working now and can connect my phone at times. This also shows the pnp is working ok too. I have several photos of wedding and want to make a movie from them. This I can do but I can't burn them to anything. This is so fruastrating and really annoying. Is there a patch or update in the Windows 10 update due in April that may help?

I have read on line how other have gotten round this temporarily by going into the registry but when I check that there is nothing there as it doesn't exist. I can remember when one update was done it moved all my files and hid them, ie my photos, downloads and music. These were all still on the pc but I had to physically find them. half of this is to do with licensensing and I do get that buit what about personal use dvd burning and file back up.

In the permissions it is all blank and there is no way of changing that. So the local network is not working to the dvd/cd rom either.

Any more ideas to help this?

HP Recommended

The last I had suggested was an extensive test on your PC, please go through it and let me know about the results.

Here're the steps:

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.