Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought yesterday my first computer in eight years, my first gaming computer ever,  HP Desktop PC 880-p1xx.

First few hours when the computer was on I didn't have problem with it, but then I supposed it is the fan that started making light, noise. not smooth ("rrrrrrr..." if you like).

For a computer so expansive I imagined that it's also supposed to be silent. My former computer's fan barely made noise and when it did, it was only due to dust or age. In any case, is it acceptable for the computer to make such noise?

P.S

I've connected an external drive to the computer, an old one that requires to be plugged in. It was always connected to my old computer and when I turned it off it also turned off, but with the new one, even though I turn the computer off, the external drive's still on. Can you perhaps advise me how to keep it plugged in and connected to the new computer and have it turn off with it computer?

Thanks for the support,

Yotam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@YotamH
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

When a computer fan spins loudly for longer than 20 seconds, there might be an issue with a fan, or the computer might be overheating.
I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Adjust the computer power settings.
  2. Increase the efficiency to reduce heat.
  3. Let the computer cool down.
  4. Determine which fan is making the noise.
  5. Troubleshoot the fan.
  6. Use Task Manager to identify corrupt processes. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01857696 to perofrm troubleshooting steps. 

If the troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue, then service the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@YotamH
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

When a computer fan spins loudly for longer than 20 seconds, there might be an issue with a fan, or the computer might be overheating.
I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Adjust the computer power settings.
  2. Increase the efficiency to reduce heat.
  3. Let the computer cool down.
  4. Determine which fan is making the noise.
  5. Troubleshoot the fan.
  6. Use Task Manager to identify corrupt processes. Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01857696 to perofrm troubleshooting steps. 

If the troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue, then service the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.