Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having storage issues on my HP Z420 workstation.  There are 2 drives available to use:  C & E drives.

• The C drive used space is 234 GB and the free space is 4.39 GB
  • The E drive used space is 110 GB and the free space is 1.71 TB

My question:  Is there a way to use E drive instead of C drive as the primary driver?  I'm not sure if I'm making any sense or not so please ask questions and I'll try my best to answer them.  

I've attached a couple of pictures which I hope will help.

Driver C and E.jpg

Disk Management.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes, it is a possibility, but a significant loss of performance
See this post where I answered

Re: So my PC came with a 1TB hard drive, how do I find where... - HP Support Community - 7834985

How to Change the Default Save Location in Windows 11
make sure to move the maximum to the hdd disk
You could also move some programs
For some, it won't make a big difference, if installed on the HDD
When installing software in general you can choose
create a new folder, name it whatever you want
and select the latter when you install some software

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Spaz009,

If you haven't done this already then I would recommend you change the location of your 'My Documents' folder to your E drive. There are plenty of tutorials online how to do this. You may need to copy/move the existing 'My Documents' files on your C drive after doing this.

Next, install 'Treesize Free' (or a similar app) and scan your C drive to see exactly what folders are using the most hard drive space. You may be able to re-locate (move) these folders to the E drive as well if they are data files. If the folder is for a program/app then you would need to re-install the program/software to your E drive first.  After re-installing the program, you can safely delete the original installation folder. (Make sure you test the new program installation is working first!!).

I had a similar issue with my 256GB C drive which is a Samsung SM951 AHCI M.2 drive. After completeing the above I was able to free up over 75GB on my C drive.

I would also recommend you create a full system backup of your C drive to your E drive.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

Yes, it is a possibility, but a significant loss of performance
See this post where I answered

Re: So my PC came with a 1TB hard drive, how do I find where... - HP Support Community - 7834985

How to Change the Default Save Location in Windows 11
make sure to move the maximum to the hdd disk
You could also move some programs
For some, it won't make a big difference, if installed on the HDD
When installing software in general you can choose
create a new folder, name it whatever you want
and select the latter when you install some software

that's what i'm saying here
for used space on windows 10 no need to install anything, just open settings, storage

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.