Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0380t CTO
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my desktop of 2x 8GB memory to 2x 16GB memory but I am not sure which ones are compatible with my mother board and will not have the frequency issue. My current memory is Kingston hyperX DDR4 3200MHz. Thank a lot for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JerryWei,

All right, this is what I can tell you: HP (gaming) desktops in general are quite finnicky when it comes to RAM and achieving max RAM speed.  Your OMEN 30L GT13-0xxx PC appears to be particularly selective when it comes to RAM.  Looking at these HP OMEN 30L GT13-0xxx User performance results, only HP-branded Kingston RAM will achieve good to outstanding RAM performance:

Kingston HP32D4U8D8HC-16XR 2x16GB / Kingston HP32D4U8D8HC-16X 2x16GB, which can be purchased via this Trusted eBay Seller if you are interested.

Other options: Kingston HP32D4U8D8HD-16XR 2x16GB or doubling your existing 2 x 8GB RAM to 4 x 8GB RAM: Kingston HP32D4U8S8ME-8XR.

Please be reminded that you should not mix different RAM: all RAM sticks should be the same brand, model and capacity for best RAM performance.

Look, I am not claiming that there aren't other acceptable RAM options out there, but from what I observed is that non-HP RAM is likely to be down-throttled, say from 3200 MHz to 2400 MHz -at least that is what I observed looking through several hundred User results, such as this User example:

NonSequitur777_0-1705443264027.png

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JerryWei,

Welcome to our peer-to-peer HP Community Forum!

Your OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0380t CTO (2H4A2AV) according to these specs and here, can be fitted with up to 4 x 16GB (2 x 16GB for Erica3) of DDR4 PC4-25600, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, DIMM (UDIMM), 288-pin RAM sticks.

Incidentally, according to Crucial, up to 4 x 32GB (2 x 32GB) is possible, but to be honest, 4 x 16GB (2 x 16GB) is all you'll ever need paired with a high-end graphics card.

[EDITED:] In order to best assist you, I need to know what motherboard your CTO desktop is fitted with: either an Erica3 (SSID: 87D6), a DoradoOC (SSID: 8703), or a Hana (SSID: 8876). Please type in System Information in your Windows search bar, and click on the System Information App, and then look to the right of "BaseBoard Product".

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777,

Thank you every much for your reply. My mother board SSID is 8703 so it is DoradoOC. Very appreciate your help.

Best,

Jerry

HP Recommended

@JerryWei,

All right, this is what I can tell you: HP (gaming) desktops in general are quite finnicky when it comes to RAM and achieving max RAM speed.  Your OMEN 30L GT13-0xxx PC appears to be particularly selective when it comes to RAM.  Looking at these HP OMEN 30L GT13-0xxx User performance results, only HP-branded Kingston RAM will achieve good to outstanding RAM performance:

Kingston HP32D4U8D8HC-16XR 2x16GB / Kingston HP32D4U8D8HC-16X 2x16GB, which can be purchased via this Trusted eBay Seller if you are interested.

Other options: Kingston HP32D4U8D8HD-16XR 2x16GB or doubling your existing 2 x 8GB RAM to 4 x 8GB RAM: Kingston HP32D4U8S8ME-8XR.

Please be reminded that you should not mix different RAM: all RAM sticks should be the same brand, model and capacity for best RAM performance.

Look, I am not claiming that there aren't other acceptable RAM options out there, but from what I observed is that non-HP RAM is likely to be down-throttled, say from 3200 MHz to 2400 MHz -at least that is what I observed looking through several hundred User results, such as this User example:

NonSequitur777_0-1705443264027.png

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer. This is very helpful information and I will check them out!

HP Recommended

@JerryWei,

You are most welcome!

If you are so inclined, please follow up if you made any RAM changes.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.