Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 880-050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wondering if you would recommend adding an additional quiet fan to my OMEN 880-050 Gaming PC or upgrading the existing fan? This PC does a beautiful job pushing epic graphics while gaming but at times gets pretty loud needing to cool itself. I'm wondering if a bigger faster fan might be better, or if I can just add a second fan.  (i7-8700K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti 11GB Graphics card with 500SSD and 2TB HDD) Does HP make a replacement that is better and higher RPM? The PC is still under warranty. I don't believe the fan should be this loud. Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings Markc76,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You can review service procedures for your chassis at this HP Support site.

Have you isolated which fan is creating the noise? 1080 Ti graphics cards can get very loud when gaming.

It appears you have options for a rear exhaust fan and a front intake fan.

An AIO liquid cooled unit would have the AIO radiator/fan attached to the rear of the chassis.

This means you may have an option to add a front fan if your PC did not ship with this fan included.

This fan could be a 120 mm fan. HP sometimes uses 92 mm fans. There would be no option to add a larger fan.

Smaller fans have to spin faster to move air. Faster spinning fans produce more noise.

You would have to look for a compatible fan replacement which can move more air at lower RPMs.

Noctua makes very quiet (expensive) fans. Corsair makes fans. NZXT makes fans. There are many OEMs which make fans. Check HP Part Surfer for possible fan upgrades for your chassis.

You may have to tackle the noise problem from a different perspective if the noise is coming from the AIO liquid cooling fan. This means you will have to change this fan instead of a chassis fan. Radiator fans are static pressure fans as opposed to chassis fans which are air flow fans.

Or you may need to replace the TIM on the CPU heat spreader with higher quality TIM. Excessive heat generated by the CPU which is being transferred to the coolant is causing the radiator fan to kick into high gear in an attempt to reduce coolant temps. Maybe the AIO pump is not moving the coolant through the closed system at the optimal rate.

HP uses Asetek AIO units in many PCs.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings Markc76,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You can review service procedures for your chassis at this HP Support site.

Have you isolated which fan is creating the noise? 1080 Ti graphics cards can get very loud when gaming.

It appears you have options for a rear exhaust fan and a front intake fan.

An AIO liquid cooled unit would have the AIO radiator/fan attached to the rear of the chassis.

This means you may have an option to add a front fan if your PC did not ship with this fan included.

This fan could be a 120 mm fan. HP sometimes uses 92 mm fans. There would be no option to add a larger fan.

Smaller fans have to spin faster to move air. Faster spinning fans produce more noise.

You would have to look for a compatible fan replacement which can move more air at lower RPMs.

Noctua makes very quiet (expensive) fans. Corsair makes fans. NZXT makes fans. There are many OEMs which make fans. Check HP Part Surfer for possible fan upgrades for your chassis.

You may have to tackle the noise problem from a different perspective if the noise is coming from the AIO liquid cooling fan. This means you will have to change this fan instead of a chassis fan. Radiator fans are static pressure fans as opposed to chassis fans which are air flow fans.

Or you may need to replace the TIM on the CPU heat spreader with higher quality TIM. Excessive heat generated by the CPU which is being transferred to the coolant is causing the radiator fan to kick into high gear in an attempt to reduce coolant temps. Maybe the AIO pump is not moving the coolant through the closed system at the optimal rate.

HP uses Asetek AIO units in many PCs.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the information. This is very helpful! 

HP Recommended

Hi Markc76,

You're very welcome.

Best wishes on getting the noise issue sorted out.

Regards

HP Recommended

I recently bought a HP Omen 880-105no that comes with a really noisy rear fan located at the back of the case.

My version is a 92 mm fan mounted on a 120 mm bracket, due to HP also using the case for water cooled models that use a 120 mm fan.

The factory installed fan is a AVC model DS09225R12H with the dimensions 92x92x25mm, capable of moving up to 52 CFM and sadly producing noise of up to 30 dB(A). Which is quite a lot 😕

So i have installed the Noctua NF-F12 which is a 120x120x25mm fan (https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm/specification).

It moves either 55 CFM or 43.7 CFM, the former with a noise level of 22.4 dB(A) and the latter with a noise level of 18.6 dB(A).

The difference is like night and day, it would be cool if HP partnered up with Noctua, as AVC fans blows 🙂

HP Recommended

hello,

did you just replaced the fan on top or did you changed the whole thing? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.