Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Purchased an OMEN that contains a super slim DVD multi drive.  Can't find specs/size, but want to replace with either my own HP Blu-Ray multi drive (standard size) or at least purchase a similar one of the correct "ultra slim" size.  Can the standard drive be used?  What is the max size of the slim varieties that will work?  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 

Based on the model number provided by you, click here for the list of supported drives/parts.

If the link does not work, please enter the product number of your computer on www.partsurfer.hp.com

Click here for the service manual for replacing the optical drive.

Once you have removed the Blu-ray drive from the older computer, you can compare the size of the drive with the one that came with the Omen computer, if the size matches, you can definitely use it on the new computer.

Let me know if this helped or if you need any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @lyndonevans

Thanks for post and your interest in HP Forums, I see you are looking to replace the DVD drive on your computer and I will glad to help you. 

Recommend you to visit our parts store and enter the product number of your computer, https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/default.aspx

For further assistance please provide the product number of your computer and I will help you with the part number of the DVD drive. 

If you are facing issue with the functionality of the drive, please explain the issue and I will be glad to assist you. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I don't have an issue, except the plain dvd burner itself.  It is an ultra slim drive.  My computer is OMEN 870-090 and came with it.  I have an excellent HP Blu-Ray multi burner from my now defunct HP ENVY,  but it is standard size.  I'm trying to find out if this drive will fit into the OMEN and work, or if I have to buy an ultra slim Blu-Ray burner.  Don't want to unless I need to do so.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 

Based on the model number provided by you, click here for the list of supported drives/parts.

If the link does not work, please enter the product number of your computer on www.partsurfer.hp.com

Click here for the service manual for replacing the optical drive.

Once you have removed the Blu-ray drive from the older computer, you can compare the size of the drive with the one that came with the Omen computer, if the size matches, you can definitely use it on the new computer.

Let me know if this helped or if you need any further assistance.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.