Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-023w Desktop PC
Linux

I want to move Odense 2K motherboard to a new case.  New case front panel USB ports will not work with this HP motherboard.  The connections fit but the port is never recognized.  The new case says its "USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A" front port should connect to "USB 3.1 Gen 1 Internal Header".  Of course, the headers on this HP board are labeled "USB 3.0" but I thought they should be compatible.

The new case's front panel block will work with other non-HP motherboards, but not this HP board.  Board is not damaged because I can connect the original HP front panel block to the HP motherboard and it still works.

Are the pinouts different on HP boards vs. other motherboards?  That would explain things but if that is what the problem is I see no workaround.

Thanks

Jay

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hIjAY123,

The USB 3.1 cable needs an adapter to work with a USB3.0 motherboard.  Is this correct?

HP has a different front panel wiring, so this might  help.

9pinpower.jpg

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

That link is to an adapter for USB 3.1 Gen 2, i.e. the newer Type C.  This would connect to the header labeled "USB 3.0 Type C" on the right side of the  motherboard.  I will need this for the Type C port to function in my new case but lacking any need for it today I will handle that in the future.  Of course, if the Type C header is non-standard then I will be back at square zero with that port also.  Oddly, the old HP case front panel block has a Type C port which has a normal looking 19-pin connector so no adapter required, for my old case. 

USB nomenclature is hideously and unnecessarily confusing.

Here is a link to a low rez pic of the motherboard:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05355651

My focus is on the USB 3.0 header at the bottom edge of the board, the one not labeled "Type C".  Presumably this header is for the old-style Type A port and I thought it should just connect and work.

*IF* the HP USB 3.0 internal header has non-standard pinouts then I would need an adapter for it to work with a standard USB 3.1 Gen 1 front I/O port.  I've never seen such an adapter.  It would have to be very specific to convert this particular HP header to a standard connection.  Not knowing if this is necessary is what led me to post here. 

The front panel pin outs shown are not relevant to the USB 3.0 internal headers on the HP motherboard, are they?  I have no issues with those functions.

Thanks

Jay

HP Recommended

The second link is also not right.  However, if you combine both adapters you posted it might work, alas, it says its for the Asus motherboard, so ...

There are a couple of posts out there that suggest HP sometimes has different pinouts, which means they require a very specific part/adapter. 

I was hoping for a definitive response to this question, but since I moved the motherboard to a new case their interest in my problem is nil.

Thanks for trying Wb

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.