Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This isn't a question, its a complaint concerning HP Marketing. The Omen series is marketed as a step forward for users because it is very upgradable... NOT.

Case in point Memory, OEM 2x8 GB sticks Hyper X Fury 3200 DDR4... great, clocks at 3200, no problems. Now you want to upgrade to 32 GB (2x16 GB), HP price is through the roof, so you go to Hyper X website, find a kit for 2x16 3200 DDR4, 16 Latency etc. etc., , install  it in and yes you do have 32 GB, but it is clocking at 2400... Hmmm, what's this? You head for the BIOS and uh-oh, it pretty much disabled in terms of accessing the XMP file (or accessing anything for that matter) needed for changing the clock speed, Google around finding Post's s stating you have to purchase direct from HP in order to clock at 3200 (remember the 2x8 GB OEM ram clocked at 3200), so you shoot an email to Hyper X, nothing comes back, then you call HP Support and they do not have a clue period, they keep saying I can't over clock the ram, and I finally explain after re-installing the 2x8 GB that in Task Manager- Performance Tab Memory indicates a clock sped of 3200, then explain that the Marketing specs online  for the OMEN model GT13-0024 states that the system comes with Hyper X 3200 DDR4 ram 2x8 GB sticks. So you again ask HP support why isn't the 2x16 GB sticks of Hyper X 3200 DDR4 not clocking at 3200, why is it defaulting to 2400? Well they don't have any idea period, they keep thinking its over clocked, and I keep telling them I am not over clocking the OEM ram, it runs that way from HP, besides there isn't any useful access to the BIOs anyway.. So HP is full of BS when they say that the Omen is made to upgrade... check the price on their Hyper X ram. Basically HP paired up with Hyper X and came up with a version only available through HP then put a price on it. there is a fix for people running intel CPU's (AMD, oh well, I have an AMD CPU). Go online, Google Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU), it supposedly will enable a person to get into the BIOS and set the correct clock speed, I could not install it (I  tried) because as I I have a AMD system and it is Intel only. One other thing was mentioned concerning using the Intel tuner, it has to be run each time you boot up, personally its better than nothing. Never the less I like this OMEN machine even with this Marketing SNAFU from HP, although it also  only allows memory up to 32 GB on the motherboard, but that's my fault, I didn't dig deep enough before buying it. But after this I will not buy HP anything again... I hope you don't have yo call HP Support because they are pretty much useless, nice enough but useless... didn't even know anything concerning the Omen, not a clue, I had to explain it to them and they didn't really get it.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Thanks for writing this along with the community  acknowledgment of this issue. 

HP, step up.

your' still going to have plenty of people buy the over-priced RAM from you directly. A bunch of folks went to the new Omen 30L for modularity, and you screwed them. I have a 30L on order with you all, and may very well cancel given these circumstances.

Can we get a response?

HP Recommended

I ran into the same issue. 2133mhz stock DDR4 speed with a locked BIOS and HP support appeared to be confused what XMP was and appeared to not even know about your own Omen Command Center. It bothers me that I was scammed by HP, and yes it is a scam. On the side of the box, it is advertised as HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200 XMP... which was installed (which is why it is not fraud), but it is deliberate misleading advertising to knowing full well you (HP) has locked the BIOS preventing the purchaser from enabling XMP and achieving rated mhz.

HP claims, again on the side of the box, that the preloaded Omen Command Center is " an easy to use interface, overclock CPU and RAM..." yet the only thing I could customize was the chassis's lighting. I wish I didn't have to tell you, but you don't seem to realize this, Omen is your flagship "gaming" platform and buyers will want this pretty standard feature enabled (its the first thing we do on initial boot). 

Like others have said, step it up. Although I know HP won't.

Its XMP, if you are finding an increase of support tickets because of XMP related issues, I assure you,  its your faulty BIOS, proprietary motherboards, or poor thermal management to blame. 

I now consider myself a detractor for HP products and will not purchase HP products in the future. I will (and have) actively dissuade others from doing so as well.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.