Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop TP01-1056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will a Pavilion Desktop TP01-1056 desktop (10th gen I7, HP 8767 motherboard, 1T 7200 rpm HDD) accept Optane memory,  and if so, what sizes.  Computer has Intel Optane Memory and Storage software.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@IHGuru,

The max on an Optane device is 32 GB.

@Prométhée

Here is the definition of Optane devices:                HP Support document on Optane

What is Optane                    How it works                  How to disable, if you had it, and the danger of doing so.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@IHGuru,

You can not use an Optane device. It does not have a second M.2 socket M slot.

Specifications,, as shown here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello @IHGuru  @wb2001 
I don't know this technology well but @wb2001 
you say there is no m2 port?

is this this computer?

TP01-1056 Product Specifications

Internal Storage
1 TB 7200 rpm SATA
Expansion Slots
1 PCIe x16; 1 PCIe x1; 2 M.2 (1 for SSD, 1 for WLAN)

Motherboard Specifications, Baker

• Two M.2 expansion slots (1 x PCIe x16 and 1 x PCIe x1)
    • One M.2 socket 1, Key A
    • One M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242)

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Prométhée,

You are correct, my apology to all. (I was hours into the system, and it showed). it has 1 m.2 suitable for either an Optane or NVMe SSD device.   I misread the spec.  The OP had bought a unit without an NVMe device for the OS. Actually I should have said that installing an OPtane (32GB max) would not be the best situation, as installing an Samsung EVO 970 Pro would be the better option.  The NVme is 5x times faster than the 1TB hard drive.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

indeed, @wb2001  I don't know what the optane system actually brings
I did not do any research ..
But, unless it's a question of budget, it might be better to upgrade to 16 GB of memory instead of the original 8.
And install a minimum 500 GB SSD

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

♻️

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@IHGuru,

The max on an Optane device is 32 GB.

@Prométhée

Here is the definition of Optane devices:                HP Support document on Optane

What is Optane                    How it works                  How to disable, if you had it, and the danger of doing so.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

This new computer took 1 min 53 sec to boot and 1 min 48 sec to log on and open Outlook. Crazy long for  I7 processor with 7200 rpm hdd. Installing a second matched 8 gb ram, about 20 sec was shaved off both times, but it was still painfully slow.  After installing 32 gb Optane, boot takes a total of 20 sec and log in and opening Outlook takes 7 sec. HUGE improvement!  Optane instructions say you have to enter Advanced mode in bios to activate the module before enabling it in Intel software,  but my bios has no advanced mode so could not activate it.  But Intel software saw and managed it anyhow.  Thanks to all and especially WB2001.

HP Recommended

@IHGuru,

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I will save this as a "bookmark" and will refer to it as needed.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

@wb2001 wrote:

@IHGuru,

You can not use an Optane device. It does not have a second M.2 socket M slot.

Specifications,, as shown here.

And to think that we almost missed out

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.